3 Reasons Why I Love Being A Pre-Med Major

I couldn't imagine doing anything more with my life. Pre-med has opened up so many new opportunities that I wouldn't have had before.
28

I changed my major probably eight times before I settled into my current major: psychology and pre-medicine. And, despite how I would never have imagined I would be saying, "I'm studying to become a doctor," I wouldn't change it for the world.

1. Advocating for mental health

With my psychology degree, I delve deeper into mental health and mental illness. I have come across people who don't believe in mental health; they believe you make it all up and all you need is sunlight to feel better. With my major, I get to advocate for the people with anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, or some other form of a mental illness.

2. Helping people who can't help themselves

People come into the doctor's office or the hospital and they're sick or injured. Some of these individuals could be dying. I love the silent job description of a doctor, which basically states to help people who cannot help themselves.

3. Volunteerism

A strong part of a medical school application is volunteerism, and while you don't need to be pre-med to volunteer, it does help you get volunteer opportunities that you wouldn't normally come across (such as volunteering at the hospital) or it will help you to become more motivated to volunteer.