Winter break is a time when most college students get to go home for almost a month, sometimes even longer, and take a break from the stresses of the semester. For many, it is a blessing, a time to see family and friends, relax, and catch up on sleep. Also for many, it is just a reminder of how there is not much to do in your hometown.
You start missing your "home away from home" and start counting down the days until you return.
I've asked some current college students to share a few thoughts they have about being home for winter break. Here's what I got:
1. "Okay, maybe I missed being home a little bit."
2. "Let's see if I can still drive."
3. "Nope, now I remember how there is absolutely nothing to do in my hometown."
4. "When do we go back?"
5. "I miss my friends."
6. "What do I do with all this free time?"
7. "What day is it?"
8. "Should I go back to my high school?"
9. "Did I forget how to drive?"
10. "Where's my student id?"
11. "Do I unpack or live out of a suitcase for a month?"
12. "Why do I feel like a guest in my own home?"
13. "It's weird that I can't sleep in my own bed."
14. "Whoever was washing these dishes while I was away can keep washing them."
15. "At least the food here is good."
16. "How many more days until I go back?"
17. "If I get asked, 'So how was your semester?' one more time..."
18. "I thought working during break would help me make more money, yet somehow I'm still broke."
19. "Please don't let me see someone from my high school in here."
20. "Oh hey...how's school? Yeah can't believe we're done with our first semester already. Tell your mom I said hi too...bye."
21. "Maybe if I look in my wallet one more time more money will appear."
22. "Okay now I'm starting to miss dining-hall food."
23. "Might as well plan out exactly what I'm going to do the second I step back on campus."
24. "Oh sh*t, I completely forgot we had to buy textbooks again."
25. "Being bored at home is way different than being bored in college."
26. "I miss my freedom."
27. "Seriously, is it time to leave yet?"
28. "I cannot do another chore or I will collapse."
29. "My sleep schedule is now wrecked."
30. "I've literally run out of shows to watch on Netflix."
31. "I'm just going to FaceTime my friends at school...again."
32. "It's time to leave? YES."