As I Turn 21, I'm Looking Back At How I've Grown

From a little girl reading in the corner to an English major.

271

It's official! As of November 17, 2018, I am officially an adult! These 21 years have been amazing, and I am so grateful to have done as much as I have in such a short amount of time.

Turning 21 has caused me to reflect on my life so far and on my life in the future. Now upon reflection, I see that I am different by design.

My most vivid memories of my childhood consist of me reading and re-reading my favorite books over and over again. Like most children, I loved the storytelling. Unlike most children, I wanted to create my own stories. While reading some of my favorite books, I would always want more. I would think there was supposed to be more beyond the last period on the last page. I wanted the story to continue and never ever end.

From my 21 years on this Earth, I have learned that I create my own happiness.

In my middle school years, we had something called "The Wall." The Wall was essentially a time-out area for middle school kids on the playground. The Wall was where all the disruptive kids were sent. All the students wanted to avoid The Wall; all the students except for me. I was not allowed to read books during class so, I purposely went to The Wall during recess to read whatever book I had stowed away in my bag until recess. This reading that I did completely on my own was what prepared me for my future major in college.

I am now a junior in college studying English. This major is one of the most enriching and rewarding things I have ever experienced. I am learning about the world as a whole and how I myself fit into that gigantic space. I am learning new writing styles and techniques I never knew existed before. And I am learning how I can leave my own personal impact in the world.

So, I just turned 21! Now, the real work starts.