Thoughts On Oklahoma's Teacher Walkouts

Thoughts On Oklahoma's Teacher Walkouts

My Mother Was A Teacher In Oklahoma...

157
Thoughts On Oklahoma's Teacher Walkouts
WIkipedia

Obviously, we are facing some issues here in the United States. If you have eyes, ears, or emotions then you know what I mean, and if you have all three then you more than understand. More specifically, the state of Oklahoma is being faced with teacher walkouts. "Why?" You may ask? It's because these molders of the future are severely underpaid.

Take it from me, the son of a former Oklahoma teacher who has seen what teachers do in the classroom and outside of the classroom. These guys deserve a lot more than what they make. Speaking of which, the absolute most you'll be making as a teacher in the state of Oklahoma is about $53,000 annually. Is it not strange how someone who takes part in the molding of minds, the brightening of futures, and takes steps towards making the dreams of young people truly are paid less than people who make YouTube slap-stick sketch comedies that are six seconds long?

Why is someone who went through the struggle of getting a degree in education, stays up for long nights making exams, homework assignments and later on grading them treated this way by the state? With what teachers have to deal with they should be some of the wealthiest people in the United States. If we didn't have teachers do you think we would have revolutionary technology from companies like Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung? What about things you love to do like watch movies or listen to music? Do you think we'd have these many movies of this quality or the ability to listen to music without anyone else hearing it?

Even the guy who lives in the neck of the woods may not have his "beautiful" pick-up truck because without teachers the model may have never been thought to have been made by a car company. Heck, the car company may not have been even made and we'd be stuck here still trying to find ways to keep our horses healthy so we can ride into town every day on them to buy groceries.

Another big thing is teachers practically get a new job every day, especially at the Public School level. Sure they go in, do their lessons, and grade, but it's so much more than that. Teachers have to deal with student conflicts, scheduling tutoring outside of class, and somehow have to find a way to get their regular work done while not going insane with little to no free time. You could argue teachers have plenty of free time in the summer, but a lot of that time is designated to continued lesson planning and improving while purchasing school supplies with their own money to ensure they can continue to bring success to students in the coming year.

Being a teacher is a huge thing. You become one of the main dictators in so many young lives. You're an example to follow and a figure of guidance. You have the power to lead people down the right path with a smile on their face, or lead them down the wrong path, and I believe that if teachers don't start getting the pay they not only deserve, but need, then one day they may not care. It's a shame teachers have to protest for something as simple as money for school supplies.

My mom worked hard for the lives of some rough kids. Ask the staff at Jefferson Middle School in Oklahoma City, they'll remember Mrs. Barnes as the quirky and funny science teacher that loved the kids, and left too soon. She would go to work to mold the minds of some of the kids who needed it most, come home with the same mindset, and did it all while supporting a family. Work like that and importance like that is something that is worth more than $53,000 a year. Next time you hear a mumble rapper drop a song that you don't understand, think about how he got paid millions while the person who helped you make sense of anything in the song is paid much less.

I'll be back soon with quotes from some of the teachers in Oklahoma and their thoughts on the current situation, and what they feel should be done. Until then, please feel to share thoughts both negative and positive with me. I want to know what you all think on Twitter @mitchell_e_ou