Thoughts That Occur When Traveling

Thoughts That Occur When Traveling

Comments and advice when traveling by plane.

10
Thoughts That Occur When Traveling

A lot goes through your head when sitting at an airport.

It's almost over-stimulating, the hustle and bustle of people running about trying to make flights. Having security members barking orders at you. I know it is their job, to ensure things are done safely and correctly, but I don't believe harsh words and actions are really in the job description.

Sitting at the windows seeing planes come and go. Watching the spectrum of people with varying emotions. People who are excited and looking forward to their trip, and the ones who look upset and downtrodden. Tears streaming down peoples faces as they say goodbye to loved ones.

Being in an airport creates a sense of longing for me. I always hate saying goodbye to people, but find it is easier to be the one leaving versus the one staying behind. Although usually it is the latter.

When at the airport to pick someone up, I always wish jumping on a plane was an option. Who cares if I don't have a ticket or the money? A spontaneous trip is sure to bring a lot of memories.

When seeing people whiz by me, I hope they're not late for a flight. As I watch people leaving and entering gates, I'm curious as to what they're reason for being at the airport really is.

A family vacation? Studying abroad? Reunion? School? Business trip? A wedding? A funeral?

The options are endless, really.

I'm always full of curiosity. I want to know their stories, their lives.

I am sure there are many other people that feel the same way about travelling and spending time in airports.

There are a good amount of things that are good to keep in mind when traveling via plane:

1) If possible with the airline, pick a seat that is close to the front. Regardless of whether you check your bags or do carry-on, getting off of the plane in a timely manner just creates less stress. Less time waiting for people and luggage and more time ensuring time for flight checks, bathroom breaks or finding you next destination.

2) Bring a pillow and/or blanket. This is especially applicable if your flight is a red-eye or an early bird, since these travel times can really wear you out. Your body needs rest, even if your flight is in the middle of the day. It might not seem like it, but even just moving from plane to plane and sitting for hours can cause you to crave rest.

3) Take either an unopened water bottle or an empty refillable bottle to fill up inside the terminals. Also bring snacks if possible in your carry-on, or buy some snacks before you board the plane. Due to sitting for hours, it is easy not to notice how hungry you are. Granted the flight attendants go down the aisle asking if you have any requests, but having your own means less waiting on your part. Plus, it guarantees snacks you know you love.

So much can be said about traveling. It can be fun, exhilarating and maddening all at once. People watching, curious minds and insane packing lists are all part of the experience.