Thoughts I Have While Sick With The Common Cold
Parents

Common Thoughts I Have While Sick With The Common Cold

Getting sick is never fun. What do you think about when you get sick?

217

Getting sick is common for almost everyone. For me, it is as common as the common cold.

I am inspired to write this article as I am feeling unwell now.

First thought I have when I am sick, how many more days do I need to wait before going to the doctor? It is suggested you wait 10-14 days of feeling congested before going to the doctor. For me, I almost always end up going to the doctor to fight the illness, my immune system is poor. So I have a mental countdown for when I can go to the doctor. When I finally go to the doctor I wonder, will I catch something else while I am here?

Before going to the doctor, I wonder if I'm ill from bacteria or a virus. I know a prescription will not kill a virus, it would be a waste of time to go to the doctor. Also, viruses are just gross in general, I learned how they multiply in the body. Nasty!

As I am attempting to rest and get lots of vitamins, I wonder to myself, how did I get sick? Well I know how I got sick, I guess the better question is, when did I pick up the bacteria or virus? I try my best to be cleanly, but I always seem to get sick too often.

I also think about how annoying it is to be sick. My biggest asset is my brain, I am no athlete, but I am smart. My best asset is not at 100% when I am ill, and that is very frustrating. My second asset is my voice, I love to sing. Usually, when I get sick, I also have a sore throat. I can't seem to do anything that I love properly when I am sick.

Another thought... Vix VapoRub is a lifesaver! I use Vix VapoRub under my nose to help me breathe. Not only is it enjoyable to do a standard bodily function such as breathing, but it also helps me to fall asleep.

This I think about whether I am sick or see other people around me who are sick... why doesn't our culture understand one of the great ways to a quick recovery is REST? Our culture wants us to push through the illness and pretend nothing is wrong. In the meantime, the person's recovery is taking longer. While they are ill, they are NOT performing at their best. Oh, by the way, this ill person is spreading the germs and there is a good chance they will get someone else ill in the process.

Lastly, but most importantly, when I am sick I fantasize about not being sick. Why didn't I appreciate my good health when I had it? Why did I take it for granted? Once I get better I will appreciate being able to breathe through my nose, and not eat cough drops like candy. I am sure though that as I get better it will be like all the other times. As I begin to get better, I will be thankful and hopeful. But once I become better, I will forget how lucky I am to be able to breathe through my nose and think clearly without pressure on my head.