Thoughts On The County Fair

Thoughts On The County Fair

Direct me to the funnel-cakes please.

13
Thoughts On The County Fair
Allyson Metz

There comes a time every summer when the otherwise empty fairgrounds fill up with sketchy rides, creepy carnies, and the addictive aroma of funnel cakes.

There's just something about the county fair.

There's something about your entire town participating in one, week long event. Something about seeing people who you went to high school with, even if it is just a passing-by head nod or wave. Something about the thrill of riding rides or watching the figure eight races.

I think we can narrow all the reasons we love our county fairs down to 5 things.

1. The Food

First and foremost fair food is the best food, hands down. The funnel cakes, turkey legs, sno cones, kettle corn. There's just some sort of satisfaction when watching a funnel cake cook in a vat of grease. I mean we only get this opportunity one week every year, so yes I will take one of everything with a lemonade please!

2. The Rides

They're creaky, rusty, and are capable of giving you whiplash. Likewise, they also have the ability to take you back to being 7 years old riding them for the first time screaming at the top of your lungs. Also, lets be honest, the best pictures are taken at the top of the ferris wheel.

3. The People

No, not the creepy carnie's that whistle as you walk buy and scream at you to come to their game. I mean the people you grew up with that you only talk to a couple times a year. Or the little kids that run around wide-eyed with ice cream running down their faces. Or your old teachers that have a had a bit too much to drink and are hilarious to talk to. Or the people at the races and concerts dancing and having a great time. These people are what make up your home.

4. The Events

The concerts, tractor pulls, figure eight derbies, at first you're like "eh, I'll go" but once you get there you're shouting and cheering just like the rest of the people there. You may only know one song, but hey the singer is kinda cute and everyone else is having a good time so why not? Que the awful, off-beat dancing.

5. The Memories

Yeah your feet are achy from walking on gravel all night and you reek of cigarette smoke, but your throat is also sore from laughing all night with your best friends and your camera roll is full of funny pictures and videos that you'll nostalgically be looking at in a month when everyone is back at different schools.

Aside from whatever hesitation I have next year about being "too old" or "too busy", I'll see ya next year at the county fair. Already dreaming about the funnel cakes.