What It's Like To Get An EEG Test, Step By Step
Health Wellness

11 Thoughts Lighting Up Your Neurons When You Get An EEG Glued On Your Head

An EEG measures the electrical activity that goes on in your brain and while it's not painful, it sure is a pain to have on.

103

I recently had to have an EEG test done and I was fortunate enough to only have to have the leads on for less than 48 hours. However, in those 48 hours, the thing that took the longest was actually placing the leads on my scalp so if you have ever had to have an EEG test, then you can probably relate to these 11 things.

It's just one long scalp massage. 

If you are new to the game, you are going to think you are in for a treat especially if you like for your hair to be played with. Boy, are you in for a surprise!

Just wait until the technician starts marking your scalp with the special marker so she can make sure to put the electrode in the right spot.

Why on earth did I wash my hair before this? 

By the time the technician has marked up your scalp and parted your hair 500 different ways, you think to yourself, "Well, there goes my clean and tamed hair." And guess what? You're not wrong.

The glue really doesn't smell that bad. 

On my most recent EEG, I made the mistake of jinxing it when I said that the glue didn't smell that bad. After a few short seconds, as it began to dry, the smell erupted and me oh my, did it smell.

Is my scalp burning? 

Between the smell of the glue, the compressed air being shoved against your scalp, and the fact that you've been laying down on the table for what seems like an eternity, you begin to think that your scalp is burning.

You don't ask the technician, though, because momma didn't raise a b*tch.

Where did all this hair come from?!

You always knew that you had been blessed with a lot of hair but seriously?! This much! It's as if you could have multiple birds live in your hair and you wouldn't even know.

It's done!

The technician finally turns the compressed air off and you think, "That's it. I'm finally done!"

Sike! Here come the strobe lights!

Are you kidding me...

If you are like me, you might suffer from migraines, so when you have to lay on a table and stare at strobe lights for about 10 minutes, it's not the greatest feeling.

I mean, I'm already here because something is wrong with my brain but alright, let's make my pain worse by aggravating it with the strobe lights!

Does that cord belong there? 

Why do I have cords on my forehead? I thought it was just on my actual head like where my hair is? Oh, behind my ear, too? Cool.

Do I still have a neck? 

You have to lay on a rolled up towel so you don't pull any wires out, right? Well, imagine laying on only your neck for about an hour. Needless to say, you don't have a neck anymore.

Will this come out? 

Sure, the technician said it would come out with acetone but are they actually going to come out? Because, I mean, it is glued onto my head.

LOL

When you can finally sit up, you get the luxury of seeing yourself in a mirror. At first, you are shocked and then you just can't help yourself from laughing.

You almost look like you belong in "Avatar" — but then again, you look like you belong on Mars.

Either way, there's no way people are going to see me like this. If only!