I Thought Taking An Online Class Would Be Easy, I Was Wrong

Online Classes Aren't For Everyone
193

Sometimes it’s hard to motivate ourselves to get out of our warm bed, put on some uncomfortable jeans, and walk to class. Some say that online classes are practically “class in your pajamas.”

Well, it’s not.

It’s more of a burden than any class that I’ve ever taken, and here’s why you shouldn’t take an online class.

If you’re like me, you have a terrible memory. Even having a planner and calendar on the wall to tell you when things are due, isn’t enough. At the beginning of the semester you’ll tell yourself that “you got this” and that it’ll be your easiest class because you won’t have to physically attend. You do great the first few weeks but then that one assignment you missed becomes four assignments not done. It ends up being your worst class because life gets in the way and you don’t have the time in your schedule to pull out your laptop and do some homework.

Don’t take an online class if you live on campus.

Might as well get the convenience you paid for, take the 10-minute walk, hit up Starbucks, and go to class. With a physical class, you already have dedicated time towards doing the work and the class so might as well take it. Doing it online completely only hinders your ability for free time.

I took an online math class and history class last semester and thought it would be simple and my easiest class. Math is probably the worst subject to take online because you are teaching Algebra to yourself. Again, if you’re like me, you’re bad at math. I had recently gotten a job, so having to balance working, being an full time student, and an online class was too stressful for me.

Although, the history class worked out great and I passed the class with a high A, but I did not pass the math class. Some classes just simply aren’t meant for online, and some classes are.

When taking an online class, you don’t get the convenient face-to-face time with your professor in case you have questions and it’s even harder to get an email response with questions you might have.

All in all, online classes aren’t for all people. Especially not for me. However, I do know some who work better with online classes so if you feel like you can keep up with it without it getting in the way of your social time and work schedule, go for it!