This One Time, At Band Camp...

This One Time, At Band Camp...

I had the best time of my life

11
This One Time, At Band Camp...
Kaitlyn Kliethermes

Being in a band may get you labeled as a "band geek" but I can vouch that you get some of the best memories in a band setting. Countess hours at camps, rehearsals, and competitions mean lots of downtime. Here are some things I think every "band geek" will understand.

1. Your feet will always be ghostly pale compared to your rockin’ leg tan.

2. Holy calves, Batman!

3. …wait, was that my dot or your dot?

4. Being right guide was a huge deal.

There's nothing more prideful than seeing and being a part of these beautiful straight lines.

5. Colorguard may or may not take pride in how many people they hit in a parade.

I’m sorry but they were in my way!

6. If there is a beat to be heard while walking, your feet will be walking in time to the music.

Walking in a mall is difficult with all the stores playing their own music...

7. You constantly walk in step with your friends.

This isn’t on purpose, it just happens…

8. What, my part isn’t the melody?

I guess the director said "Play LIKE your part is the melody" not "Your part IS the melody." Oops.

9. “Okay band, sing your parts" brings out the inner performer of everyone.

Good or bad, it is always entertaining. Even the guard will sing swoosh swooshity swish, toss catch slam!

10. This song actually has words to it?

Instrumentals are life and every piece presented that you don't already know is assumed to be an instrumental.

11. Band people are your favorite people.

We may not always have it together, but together we have it all. I have had the honor of being involved in the Missouri Lion's All-State Band for the past 6 years now and would not trade that experience for anything! The strangers you meet during those two weeks leave you as family at the end of the camp. If you have a chance to be involved with your state's Lion's band I would suggest you do it. My favorite band memories were formed there.