I Want To Be A Teacher

I Want To Be A Teacher

It's not such an easy job...

8
I Want To Be A Teacher

I am offended by the idea that someone could be “too smart” to be a teacher. Isn’t that a little redundant? Do we not want smart people teaching our future children and future leaders of our country? Now I understand that some people feel there are “better” things someone could become but I disagree. Teaching is something I’ve wanted to do from a young age. I’ve always wanted to be that teacher who inspires my students and helps guide them in their life choices. I want to be one of the teachers that have made an impact on all of our lives.

Take a moment and think of that one teacher that genuinely cared about their students and made that impact on you. I’ve been told, teaching is just a cop out. That it is an easy major. Well excuse me, but learning all the material I will need to one day educate my future students is not easy. I may not be learning the human anatomy inside and out like I originally started out doing, but I am learning the history of literature from as far back as we can go. Not only am I learning all the literary history I can, but that along with linguistics that go as far back as the first people on Earth. I have to put a lot into my studies just like any other student.

Teaching is not an easy profession. It takes people skills, organization, and true knowledge of your subject area. Creativity with problem solving when struggles arise or students don’t seem to be understanding the content. Yes I will have to deal with standardized testing and all the frameworks but it is a necessary evil to ensure your children are getting a well-rounded education. I care that the future generations get an education. I don’t want to school to be a chore or babysitting act. I want to provide new information and spark passion. I want to see their eyes light up as they figure out they’re good at something new. I want to be there as they start to figure out who they are and what they want to do. I want to be a teacher.