This iBelieve

This iBelieve

I believe in turning the lights off.

22
This iBelieve
Science Daily

In today’s society humans are overwhelmingly allowing themselves to be taken over by inanimate objects whether it be phones, computers, money, or clothes. We are blinded by the physical objects so much that we lose sight of what is truly important. I have confidence that perspective, happiness, and relationships are all things that can not simply be bought. For this, I believe in turning the lights off.

To have perspective is to have a stable point of view. When blinded by other objects the mind is guided strictly to see a certain way. By taking a step back and truly creating independent opinions, the mind is able to come up with its own thoughts without interference. New beliefs and goals can be made. Physical objects set our mind on such a curvy road that when we look back we can hardly see the beginning where our true morals and ethics lay. For example, black Friday shopping. People are so set on finding a good deal they are willing to put themselves and others in dangerous situations just to save a few bucks. Was that 20 dollars off a TV really that important? Was the 20-second smile from the gift recipient worth a fight that sometimes leads to trampling others? Having a different viewpoint would allow someone to see that happiness can not be purchased; it’s the thought that creates the smile, not the object itself.

Having an open perspective can help lead to creating or sustain healthy relationships. Turning the lights off in terms of relationships means to allow yourself to not be visionless by the sight of flaws or outer appearance. It means to look inside of yourself and another to truly see what is important. In the classic British fantasy film, Nanny McPhee, the children are frightened by the outer appearance and stern demeanor that Mrs. McPhee upheld. Throughout the story, you see defiance and unnerved behavior by the children. By the end of the tale, the children realize that everything Nanny McPhee did was in their best interest. They had grown to care for someone who they thought was out to get them. It took the children time, but once they “turned the lights off ” inside of their minds they were able to see the truth behind Nanny McPhee.

To be happy is to be content; This definition is what made me question that if I took away all of the unnecessary items in my life, would I still be happy? This is where I realized that stepping away for a few moments every now and then would allow me time to think and focus without distraction so that I could see what is truly important in my life. It’s a way to take away all of the items in my life without having to fully give them up. As a result of my time to myself, I have used my phone less and started communicating more with people in person. I have also become much closer to my mother and father. I now know that as great as playing with technology or shopping for new clothes feels, it really has no benefit to me unless I am content with my life without it.

The blinding factor of all the goods in the world is becoming so strong that its force is getting harder to fight. However, whether it be just a moment, an hour, or a few days time to yourself, “turning the lights off ” from society will allow your mind to be able to regain perspective, strengthen relationships, and find happiness. The best way to open your eyes to see the truth is too close them. I believe in stepping away and I believe in “turning the lights off.”