I Have A Genuine Thirst For Knowledge

I'm A College Student With A Genuine Thirst For Knowledge And It Feels Like I'm The Only One

A hard to swallow pill.

349

When I got to college, I thought something was going to be different. I thought people were actually interested in learning, but I was wrong.

As you'll find out from most of your classes, the teachers assume that the students take classes for the grade and only the grade, and you'll see—when it comes to the majority of the students, they are right.

That breaks my heart.

It breaks my heart that teachers take their time to lecture about what they find most important, what they studied, what gives their lives meaning—and students cannot seem to even respect that sometimes.

Now before you think I am being harsh or unfair, I realize that not every student is going to be interested in every class and that you as a student must take classes you do not want to sometimes to meet graduation requirements. I get it, I know.
I still find it difficult to understand how this lack of interest would cause you to be insensitive to your professors.

Skipping class, talking over teachers, trying to make it up last minute—not only do I find this ridiculous because, well… we are in college and students are choosing to pursue education beyond high school (some for different reasons than others), but it's hard for me to understand because I want to gain as much knowledge as I can, even if it is from a class I am not necessarily interested in.

I figured out that I wanted to major in anthropology in my high school calculus class because he made up do college/major research for one of our first-week-before-starting-actual-math projects. MEANING: other classes, even those you do not find necessarily interesting, can be gateways to breakthroughs in your own future plans/goals.

Why pay for a class and not take it seriously, even if you are not interested? Why take that for granted? It just leaves me in shock that people STILL don't realize the importance of knowledge—or not fully.

I mean, yes, be young—experiment, party, but soak up as much knowledge as you can.

KNOWLEDGE IS PRICELESS.

I guess it just really shocked me to see that the majority of college students do not really care about the content, only about the grade—in order to get a degree, to get money.

I know everyone is in college to get a degree and ultimately reach their career goals—well some only come to party… I went into college with a different mindset.

No, scratch that. I go through life with a different mindset.

I want to learn as much as I can, whenever/wherever I can, from whoever I can.
I want to hear different perspectives—that is how you grow and formulate your own opinions.
I am just so baffled that that is not how everyone lives their life.

Why be closedminded? Why reject knowledge that is so easily attainable to you? People are different, and I know that.

It is just difficult for me to understand as someone who grew up loving to read and listen—I even like movies that make me think for days after the best. I guess as someone who grew up and grew into someone who respects knowledge so deeply, it is just hard for me to understand one would not want to learn as much as they possibly can.