Poetry On Odyssey: What To Think About

Poetry On Odyssey: What To Think About

I think I will think about all the things I can think about.

104
Poetry On Odyssey: What To Think About
Flikr / R. Nial Bradshaw

I sit here, waiting, thinking

About the things I could think about.

I could watch the scenes outside

Through the glass frame.

Maybe I could get ahead on work or

Plan my goals and future.

Perhaps I could think about the

Past and how we all miss it.

I could even think about solutions

To the problems of the world.

All these things I could think about but,

I think I will think about all

the things I can think about.

I wrote this poem on a Sunday afternoon during a long car ride returning home from vacation. I was trying to think of something to do in order to ease the stress over the upcoming week. My mind kept cycling over things I could think or write about as I watched the hills and fields roll by under a grey sky and droplets of rain slid down the window. I could not decide whether to come up with ideas for an article, attempt to construct an outline for an essay, think about my life goals or just think about life.

Finally, after realizing I was too bored to do any of those things, I chose to write about the problem I had encountered while searching for something to think about. I decided that a poem was the best way to capture the ideas in my mind and share them. The end result was the following poem.