To My Little's New Little, What You Need To Know About Your Big

First of all, you officially have one of the best bigs around.

1308
Alesha Wireman

Welcome to the family! You've found your people — your home. I couldn't be any more excited to have you as my g-little. It's been two years now since I was matched with my big and I remember the exciting feelings just like it was yesterday. So, I can easily understand and say that I'm sure you're feeling very similar to how I felt: excited to get to know your big better, but nervous because you feel a lot of pressure to make this friendship perfect.

Don't worry though, like any good friendship, it'll take time. Your big and I went through the same awkward "getting to know you" stage of our friendship when she became my little. There were plenty of times when we both feared we'd never be as close as we'd hoped to be, but rest assured, she's now one of my best friends.

I'm writing this because I want you to know some important things as you start this new journey with your big. First off, you officially have one of the best bigs around — seriously though, you couldn't have asked for someone better. She is one of the strongest, kindest, most caring people I've met at college and that's no exaggeration.

You can trust this girl with your life and all your secrets. She knows more about me than any other friend I've made since coming to college, and this is because she has never once given me a reason not to trust her. I've told her things that may not have been a big deal but felt like a huge deal to me, and no matter what, she's always kept them between just us.

She always knows what to say when you're stressed, hurting, angry, or just plain done with everything. She knows when to build you up and encourage that everything will work out. Yet, she can tell when you just need someone to say they get it, that sometimes life sucks, but she'll make sure you aren't suffering alone.

We all make bad, sometimes downright dumb, decisions. Your big will always have your back and it's not just because that's what friends are for. Sometimes I don't make decisions that are in my best interest, mostly relating to boys, but sometimes other things as well. Even when we both know the decisions I'm making or the actions I'm taking aren't going to make me happy in the long run, we also both know that I'm going to do dumb things anyway and she always supports me.

A lot of my other friends will tear me down or yell at me, but she just gets it. I know I can always go to her to talk about my newest bad decision and she'll be ready to show me that she truly understands.

She loves random dinner and coffee dates — you'll most likely make a weekly event out of it just like we have. Sometimes when you're both super busy, this will be the only time you get to catch up throughout the week. You'll look forward to it, likely having a long list of things you need to tell her, get her advice on, or just say out loud to someone.

She is a hugger. Every time she greats someone, it's always with a hug. You're going to run into her all over campus and I can guarantee she'll coming running with her arms wide open. It's a great quality in a friend, especially when you're at college and away from your family. Sometimes when you're not having the best day, a hug from a friend is all you need to start feeling better. You can tell it really brightens people's days, as it certainly always does mine.

When it comes to listening to me ramble on about my life, things that are annoying me, or whatever my deal is that day, she's a pro. She always listens and doesn't just tune me out when I go on forever. Bless her for always sitting through my rants about boys, classes, work and everything in between.

The amount of compassion and kindness she has for others is incredible. She's always there to lend a helping hand, a listening ear, or just a smile when someone needs it. She genuinely cares about others and everyone she loves.

Overall, she's the epitome of what I wanted for a little; someone I could build a lifelong friendship with. This alone lets me know, without a shadow of a doubt, that she is going to be a fabulous big. If there's anyone whose footsteps you'd want to follow in, to inspire and positively impact the people and world around you, it would undoubtedly be hers.

I can't wait to get to know you better and be a part of your college experience; your big and I will be here for you every step of the way.