When there's so much evil in this world, it's almost impossible to stay focused and positive in the midst of it all.
How can I smile when terrorist attacks are happening across the globe? How can I appreciate this pricey cup o' joe when some people can't even afford to eat? How?
While it's easy to be consumed with these thoughts, it's most important to remain focused on what truly matters and the impact that you can have in your little piece of the world. What you have to be thankful for, and how you can assist and actually bring relief to those raging issues instead of simply dwelling on them.
With so many things to frown about, why don't we take a moment to think about things that make us smile?
That was my thought process, anyway, when I was feeling especially low and haunted by the brevity of life and severity of turmoil that has befallen many.
My solution? Refocus.
How? Make a "things to smile about" list.
Here's mine, but what's yours? Enjoy!
Things to Smile About:
1. My Savior Jesus Christ and His redeeming grace and mercy
3. My best friend who also happens to be my sister
4. The fact that God doesn't give up on me, even when I've turned away from Him
5. My incredible boyfriend who always knows how to make me smile
6. Freedom. My 'Merica is 'mazing
7. Chick-fil-A. I think it deserves it's own category, right?
8. My health and overall wellness despite my deep-seated coffee addiction
9. Friends who will pray with me, cry with me, and laugh with me
11. The amazing creation and world that proclaims the power and might of our Maker
12. An education
13. Scholarships! God has provided many opportunities that have made college a reality
14. My dog, Clue
15. Music which speaks when words fail
16. The ability to know God through His Word
17. Encouraging professors and mentors
18. Communication and human language
19. Pictures that capture the moment
20. The ocean, the mountains, the stars
21. Long, meaningful conversations
23. The ability to learn
24. My house
25. My car
26. Talking directly to God through prayer
27. Laughter and joy
28. Sorrow that builds faith and endurance
29. Goofing off with no judgement
32. God's promises
33. Rainy days, and FOG. I love foggy mountains
34. Coffee (y'all didn't see that one coming)
35. Words that speak volumes
36. Quiet that needs no explanation
37. A hug or kiss just because
38. Random trips and adventures
39. Time spent well with those I love
40. Trying new things
The list could go on and on, and if you made it to #40, you're a real trooper. Now, I encourage you to make your own list. You'll be surprised how much it will make you smile. :)