7 Things I Wish I Knew Before Rushing

7 Things I Wish I Knew Before Rushing

It's not as complicated as you think. Just wish I knew some more things.

157

Rushing is one thing I will never regret doing. I've gained some awesome friends and opportunities that I'm so blessed to have been given. So with rush applications coming out, here are 7 pieces of advice I have for those considering rushing:

1. Wear comfortable shoes.

Yes, you've probably heard it before. But I thought I could do it. And I was wrong. Do not wear those 4-inch heels you look so good in, no matter what you think. I can assure you the sororities are not looking at your choice of shoe, because they're trying to wear comfortable shoes too.

2. Go to bed EARLY.

Those 5 a.m. wake up calls are no joke. it's tough to get up that early in general, especially if you go to bed at midnight. Just suck it up and go to bed early. You're going to be exhausted anyway.

3. Go in blind.

Obviously not literally. Don't search about sororities before rush. Don't ask people their opinions about sororities. It shouldn't be about the opinions of others when rushing. Be selfish and go for what YOU want. Not what your mom wants, friends want, or what Instagram thinks is cool. Be open.

4. Be selfish.

Like I stated earlier, don't listen to other people. You know yourself best and you know what you want. Be selfish when rushing. Don't feel bad for cutting a sorority because ultimately, it's your four years that matter.

5. DRINK WATER.

It's going to be super hot. Its the middle of summer, you're outside, you're going to sweat. A lot. Keep drinking water between rounds. Don't take the snack stands for granted either. I drank water every chance I could get when rushing and I'm glad I did. Don't be dehydrated.

6. It's alright to be nervous.

Don't feel bad for being scared. Rush is a big deal and it's super overwhelming. But there are over 1,000 other girls feeling the exact same way as you. You're not alone.

7. Everything will work itself out.

I was dropped after the first round by a sorority my mother was the president of. I was devastated, but I knew that it wasn't a match. Now, I firmly believe that it was for the best. You might picture yourself fitting in, but that sorority you love may know that you wouldn't be happy there, and so they may decide to cut you. IT'S OK. They know more than you, and you just have to trust.

Rush is crazy. I know, my friends know, and my sorority sisters know. But find comfort in the fact that even the girls already in the sorority are feeling nervous too. Rush is extremely crazy, but it's one of the best decisions I've ever made and I don't regret it for a second.