7 Things To Do In Summer 2017 Besides Working On Your Tan

Not that your sun-kissed glow isn't important.

32
Flickr

Your highly anticipated summer vacation is finally here.

Whether you’re returning home, traveling to other cities, or even studying abroad- summer is always an exciting and busy time for college students (with the given periods of relaxation and freedom). Twelve weeks to rejuvenate and accomplish something somewhat productive and satisfactory with your time, but what exactly? What are you going to accomplish and how are you going to utilize those twelve weeks? Your free time is valuable and should be put to good use. Here is a list of things to do this summer besides soaking up UV rays by the pool- not that that isn’t important, no one appreciates a good tan as much as I do.

1. Reconnect with new and old friends.

One of the most exciting parts of summer is catching up and spending time with your hometown friends who you typically don’t see throughout the school year. While there’s nothing better than reuniting with those people, it can be refreshing and empowering to reach out to those who you wouldn’t typically hang with. Whether it’s someone from your high school who you just considered a “school friend”, a co-worker or a completely new face- reach out and create new relationships.

2. Travel somewhere new.

It doesn’t have to be across the globe, country, or even state- it could be a new town or place 20 minutes away. Go see something new. It could be traveling to a baseball game with friends, planning a day trip with your family, and even trying a new restaurant nearby.

3. Participate in an activity that pushes you out of your comfort zone.

This doesn’t mean you have to jump out of a plane or push yourself to extremes, it’s anything that you wouldn’t think of typically doing on an everyday basis. Some examples of this could be hiking at a local park, applying for a particular job, or simply trying a food that you’ve never had before.

4. Take advantage of family time.

You can’t live with them but you certainly can’t live without them. Although you may already be sick of them, use this summer to get some quality fam time in. Families come in all shapes and sizes- no matter where you fall on the spectrum- make the most out of spending time with your family this summer.

5. Stay in touch with your college friends.

Keep those group chats, facetime calls, and snap chats flowing. Twelve weeks without your college besties is way too long to go without speaking or seeing each other! You want to know everything they’re up to as much as they want to stay updated on what’s going on in your life- stay in touch!

6. Have as much fun as possible.

Cheesy I know, but utilize this time to live it up! Debating on staying in or going out with friends? Go out! Your weeks of freedom at home are limited, take advantage while you can. Before you know it you’ll be spending your summers in an office cubicle or worse- driving your kids to and from pools and play dates watching them have all the fun.

7. Focus on yourself.

Amidst your summer job, classes, responsibilities and fun- take the time to tend to your needs and wants. Summer is the perfect time to refresh your mind and body before returning back to school. It’s okay to take a “me” day. It’s okay to spend a day in your PJs eating a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream while watching Grey’s Anatomy marathons. College can be a very confusing time for students, as they tend to get so caught up in school work, partying and friends that they forget to take care of themselves and can even lose sight of who they are. Use this summer to remind yourself of who you are and what you stand for. Love yourself!

But yes, lather on that Banana Boat tanning oil and soak up those UV rays too. Channel your inner bronzed goddess.