Things to Do During the First Week of 2017

...and every week after.

43

The clock hit 12 a.m., people everywhere shouted "Happy New Year" with a kiss to their loved one and less than 24 hours into this new year people are already giving up on their new year's resolutions. Which, OK, I understand. But seriously people, give it at least a week.

It is officially the new year, and since I know that I am going to be one of those who give up on their resolutions quite quickly, I wanted a list of things to do during this first week of January to at least get the year started right. After all, the new year is the beginning of a new journey. So, in honor of all of those who have given up in a day, here is a list of things you should be doing during this first week of January:

1. Buy a planner (if you do not already own one).

2. In that planner, write down your schedule (if you are a student/part time employee), major birthdays, events you know are going to happen, days to have for you and when you have to pay bills.

3. If you are into it, buy a journal (or use a cheap notebook).

4. In that journal or notebook, start off by writing your favorite quote on the first page.

5. On the next page, write down your goals for the new year.

What do you want to accomplish?

6. Start drinking at least 2 bottles of water a day. Honestly, you will feel better.

7. Start waking up at the same time every day.

I am going to try to do that this week, seeing as I have to get up at 7 a.m. at the latest every weekday this semester.

8. Since you are going to be up at the same time, start a routine!

Once you wake up, read a quote or listen to your favorite song. You could make a cup of coffee or tea, or just lie in bed for a few moments to prepare yourself for the day. Just get yourself used to what your schedule is like.

9. In that routine, go eat breakfast!

10. Or at least get out of your room.

11. When you go to work or to class, try to smile.

12. In addition to smiling, it is always a good idea to try and be more positive in the new year.

13. Since we are starting good habits, stop apologizing and thank people instead.

I found this one on Tumblr a few days ago. Instead of saying, "Sorry I'm so late!" Thank the person instead. "Thank you for waiting for me!" Try to not only be a more positive person, but be more positive about yourself. You are not a burden, and you will feel better if you are more positive about yourself as well.

14. Get a head start on something.

I have done quite a bit to prepare myself for one of my executive positions, and I am beyond relieved because of it.

15. Make a list of things you have to do, and break them down over your week (but honestly, do this every week).

16. When you get home each night, write down 3 good things that happened that day.

Use that journal! What did you do for someone else? What did someone do for you? What are you grateful for?

17. Make plans with someone you want to hang out with.

18. Make sure you actually hang out with that person (write it in your planner!).

19. Remember that even if someone does not talk to you everyday, if you two are close, they still care about you. They probably do even if you are not close.

20. And finally, start taking care of yourself.

The new year is a great time to reinvent yourself and how you want to be perceived. Take care of yourself, be nice, and love always.

Happy New Year, everyone. Make it a good one.