what to thank your dad for

6 Things I Don't Thank My Dad Enough For

A verbal "thank you" to sum up the ones that go unsaid every day.

327
Adina Levitan

Father's Day is the time to properly vocalize all the unspoken "thank yous" that go through your mind daily. It isn't really enough to just assume your dad knows--sometimes a verbal reminder speaks volumes.

I'm very much a daddy's girl. My dad and I have always been close. It does help that we have similar personality types and interests. While I try to say "thank you" on a daily basis, I know that sometimes it goes unsaid.

This is just a few of many things I have to thank my dad for:

1. Sharing his music taste with me

My dad is a huge lover of classic rock, among a wide variety of other genres. He introduced me to many classic rock bands, and constantly recommends new songs to me. One of my fondest memories of freshman year of college is the car rides to and from campus together, some classic rock station playing and my dad babbling on happily about whatever was playing.

2. Introducing me to some awesome films

We have our own list of movies to watch together, many of which are favorites of my dad's. Thanks to him, I've seen Ferris Bueller, Pulp Fiction, and my ultimate favorite, Spaceballs.

3. His advice

My dad always listens to the whole story before responding. He thinks carefully before saying anything, and every word is carefully chosen for maximum impact. Whatever he suggests is worth listening to. I've often found myself sharing advice given to me by my father with others.

4. Helping me sound professional

Bonus to having a recruiter for a dad: you always sound professional. My father has helped me numerous times to fix up my resume, send emails, and handle situations in a professional, adult manner when on my own, I'd probably sound like a mess.

5. His constant support

My dad has always been one of my biggest supporters. He comes to see my shows, despite not being much of a theatergoer. He advises me on my resume, has twice used connections to help me land a job, and so much more. He is always there for me and has never let me down.

6. His never-ending love

My dad is not a mushy person. If he says "I love you" out loud, you know he really, really feels it in that moment. While my dad and I have different views on certain lifestyle choices, primarily regarding religion, my dad has never stopped loving me even when my choices were far from what I knew he had wanted for me. He sees how happy I am and for him, that's the best he could ask for.