Over the past almost year that I've had my tattoos, I've heard a lot of positivity but also a lot of backlash. I've heard a lot of comments that were not needed to be said, but were said anyway. And I'm pretty sure, a lot of other people have heard these types of comments that have tattoos as well. No matter what anyone else says, just stay true to you and know it has nothing to do with you but instead with them. Now lets have a laugh at some of the comments I've heard from people about my body art and possibly you've heard about yours too.
1. "You'll regret getting that when you're older"Giphy
Yes, because I didn't think about what would be on my body forever before I got to the shop, or signed the form, or sat in the chair as I was getting tattooed.
2. "You're just going to end up covering it anyway"Giphy
Maybe, maybe not. In this moment I love it, and yet if I do or don't, that's really none of your business.
3. "Nobody will hire you when they see your tattoos"Giphy
That's why I'm employed right now and why I've seen plenty of other people with tattoos having jobs doing what they love too, right?
4. "Why would you waste your money like that?"Giphy
Well, it is the money I work for and it is on something I love so technically it's not me wasting it.
5. "They'll just wrinkle with the rest of your skin when you get older anyway"Giphy
Okay, yes, and I'll be one of the sickest grandma's you'll ever meet.
6. "It looks bland, you should add color or shading to it"Giphy
Okay but... who's tattoo is it, yours or mine? Last time I checked I didn't want to.
7. "What do you think kids will think about that?"Giphy
Kids probably won't judge me the way you are right now, Susan.
8. "You looked better before you got that"Giphy
I didn't know a tattoo changed how I looked that much, tell me more.
"I would never get a tattoo and destroy my body like that"Giphy
And that's fine! Good for you! It's your body and your decisions, just like my body is mine and it's my decision.
10. "Was it worth hurting yourself for it?"Giphy
Well, for something I love being on my body forever, hell yeah!
11. "You're going to get an infection from your tattoo"Giphy
Thanks for caring, but I know how to care for myself and I know that the artist I go to will be up to answering any health concerns I have. Not all tattoos automatically call for getting an infection, ma'am.
So to the people who don't have tattoos and continue to judge, please, for the sake of us going to lose our shits, stay in your own lane! At the end of the day it is our decision and it really doesn't concern you.