Things To Talk About At Thanksgiving Other Than Politics

Assuming you still actually want to have a family after this.
Jessica
Jessica
138

It's no secret that this election, regardless of your views, has been divisive and ugly. This isn't a post about politics. This is a post reminding you what else is out there in the world assuming you still want to actually have a family left for future Thanksgivings and holidays in December.

Here's a list of things neither party (ha, literally) will hate. Millennials hate being asked certain questions - more to come on that at some point - and older people hate certain things too (I couldn't tell you as I am not one of them).

So here's a list of, presumably safe, topics to explore for Thanksgiving, when you all oddly sit around a roasted bird and eat three times your weight in food in the name of a holiday:

1. What famous person would you meet and why? Obviously not a politician, if that's your choice then you don't get stuffing.
2. Celebrities. Babies. Celebrity babies. The fact that a Kardashian just named their kid "Dream". Bond in hatred via other means.
3. Go on YouTube and find cat videos. Cats in boxes. Cats swimming in bathtubs. Cats chasing the dog. There isn't anything cats haven't done at this point on YouTube.
4. I guess if they don't like cats, dogs will have to do. Cats vs. Dogs debate is banned, however.
5. Embarrassing childhood moments.. featuring people of all ages. Aunts and uncles, that means you too!
6. Their jobs when you're inevitably asked what career you're going into.
7. .. Maybe don't do that, but sports should be a safe topic, unless you're in Ohio.
8. That one Aunt/Uncle who never shows up and you're all pissed off about it.
9. Your pets.. as long as they aren't actually present, so nobody feeds them table food. Because most pet owners quietly despise that sh*t.
10. Recipes. Turkey recipes. Maybe even your favorite brand of turkey, so long as you can ensure it doesn't devolve into mindless arguing.
11. What dessert everyone brought. At least that'll be productive before everyone goes into a food coma.
12. What concerts you've been to. Even if you don't like the music, pretend you do.
13. Vacations. Let them show you 2,500 pictures with a thesis essay for each one for an explanation.
14. Where you're doing Christmas, so nobody complains in three weeks Aunt Susie never called back.
15. Movies. I don't have a snarky line for this one. Movies are just movies. Everyone likes movies. I think?
16. Their favorite Thanksgiving food. Turkey isn't an option because that's too easy.
17. Get out a family photo album so everyone can see how ridiculous they looked in the '80s.
18. Young people aren't safe either. Baby photos, people.
19. The impending food coma, so you all know it'll be quiet eventually.
20. How nice it was to see each other after months of ignoring each other's existence amid family drama.
21. Anything other than politics and religion. Really. Honestly. Please.

Just a few ideas for you this holiday season!

But, hey, amid all the crazy things your family inevitably does, it's nice to see them at Thanksgiving.. Right?

They're your brand of crazy, after all. Embrace it (not too much, though).