12 Things You Should Know About Dancers

12 Things You Should Know About Dancers

You may not get why we dance, but maybe this can clarify.

1594
12 Things You Should Know About Dancers

1. We can't "just skip rehearsal."

I love my friends with all my heart, but this sport requires constant time and dedication to improving. If I miss rehearsal, I will be about thirty-six counts behind. Plus, I will be completely lost come next class.

2. Dancers. Eat. A. Lot.

We do not all eat little to nothing. In fact, with all of the calories we burn, we have to eat more than most people.

3. Pointe shoes (not toe shoes) do hurt.

sometimes they hurt really bad, especially when you first break them in. We get blisters, bruises, and the occasional bloody toe nail.

4. Please don't ask us to dance for you.

"Ballet looks so FUN! Show me a move!!" No. We are not a private show here to dance for you in the middle of the hallway. If I dance for you, I have to do it every time someone asks me to dance.

5. Not all dance instructors are mean

My dance instructor is actually really nice. She does not act at all like Abby Lee or the stereotypical "mean" ballet teacher.

6. Lyrical is not "just like" interpretive dance.

Lyrical is a combination of jazz and contemporary dance, a self-expressive type of dance. Interpretive often tells a story or explains an emotion and branches from the more theatrical side of dance.

7. Our joints pop. A lot.

All of my joints pop, and it feels great. I can name six joints that can pop on command.

8. Our stamina is out of this world

I swear our stamina is better than we make it look after running a three-minute dance.

9. Permanently bruised knees

Yes, I constantly have bruises all over my knees and feet. Please do not poke them to be funny, it hurts.

10. Dance is not all tutus and glitter.

Usually, it is sweat and bobby pins stabbing you in the head, but it is the best kind of pain.

11. Being on stage is the best

Being onstage is the best feeling in the world to a dancer... until we inevitably fall.

12. We would not trade our sport for the world.

Dance is a strong form of self-expression. It is a way to have an outlet without speaking.