Things Only People Who Love Punk Rock Shows Will Understand

If you grew up as a teenager who loved punk rock music, you'll definitely relate to this.

76
Unsplash

There’s something about seeing a band perform that has always brought out the best in me. My first punk rock show was back in 2012; I was only 14 years old. I looked up all the tips and ideas online before going to a General Admission show so I was fully prepared: get to the show a few hours early to be close to the stage, wear comfortable shoes, carry only a small bag, etc. Needless to say, this was an experience I’d never forget. The anticipation was crazy as I stood outside the venue and listened to the sound check. Only people have been to a punk rock concert can truly understand how amazing the experience really is.

1. The wait

The thought of waiting in line for a few hours before a show might sound completely insane, but it’s also so worth it. My favorite part about the wait in line is meeting new people and chatting about music. I’ve made at least one new friend at every show I’ve been too; we usually connect on social media and even meet up at the next show if the band comes back to town. There’s also the sound check. After waiting in line for a while, it’s always exhilarating to hear the band start testing their instruments inside the venue. I’ve waited in line in the snow, rain, extreme summer heat, all of it, but getting up close to the stage (especially when you’re only 5’2) is always worth it.

2. The energy is UNREAL

Once the band is onstage, the entire crowd is surging to the beat of the music, clapping, singing, screaming, moshing, and holding their hands up to the sky. Every person knows every lyric and jumps perfectly with the drums and breakdowns. I get chills every time the band stays quiet and allows all the fans to finish the line of the song. There’s something that awakens in me where I forget all my problems and focus on the music and the artists in front of me. While I feel the bass resonate in my chest and the sweat fall down my face, I jump to the beat and scream the lyrics. I learned to really let loose an enjoy myself at rock shows, and I’m thankful for that fun outlet in the middle of the chaos that is life.

3. It’s amazing to see artists in real life

No matter how many times I listen to a song on the radio or on my phone, it’s nothing compared to seeing a live performance. The people who play in these bands are all incredibly talented individuals, and it’s awe-inspiring to see them do what they love in person. The artists in every band I’ve seen live (my list is pretty long) always perform on stage with an unmeasurable amount of passion. I also always find it funny how weird it is to see the members of the band for the first time and them not be figures in a photograph. Like, “oh my God, they’re actually real people!”. I’m a creative person, and I really want people to read my writing some day and be inspired by me. Therefore, seeing the members of my favorite bands sing on stage and live their dream keeps me pushing forward towards my own dreams.

4. Seeing a group of strangers come together because of music

A lot of people who enjoy punk rock music and concerts often don’t really fit in with a lot of people. However, within the walls of a venue in front of a stage, everyone is friends with everyone. I’ve seen people carry other people they didn’t even know out of the crowd because they got overheated or hurt. I’ve had guys move out of the way so I could see better (again, I’m only 5’2). Concerts can be exhausting because of all the energy you’re exerting, but everyone in there has your back. At the end of the day, we’re all there to enjoy the concert and music together.

5. The memories are unforgettable

I’m guilty of taking thousands of videos and pictures during a show, but even without them, the memories of a concert are unreal. Every time I hear a song that was performed, I can see the events of the concert replaying in my head and feel the energy I had during the show. Some of my best memories are from concerts; I’ve made some good friends waiting in line, seeing a band’s last performance as a group, crying during that one song that always gets me, catching a drumstick, crowd surfing for the first time, meeting my favorite band (Pierce the Veil). I love telling stories about the concerts I’ve been to and reliving the moment again.

6. Post-concert depression is a real thing

While the anticipation leading up to a concert is crazy, the sadness after it’s over is even worse. I spend the first few days after a concert wishing I could go back and be lost in the music and crowd again, looking at pictures, talking about it, wearing band shirts, and holding onto every memory from the show. Not to mention, after standing and jumping around in a big crowd where the music and bass are way too loud, my back and legs always hurt, and I’m half deaf for a few days. I listen to the music on repeat just so the thoughts and memories of the show will continue to replay in my head as well.