8 Things To Look For On A First Date When You're Basically Judging The Person Across From You

You only get one chance to make a good impression, are you making the most of it?

139
pexels.com

You only get one chance to make a good impression. When it comes to a first date, nerves are high and words can be hard. What some don't realize is the majority of what is taken away from a first impression is non-verbal.

My top eight signs I look for include the below list and from what I have taken away from others in my life; these apply to their thoughts as well. Something to keep in mind the next time you have your first interaction or first date with someone.

1. Where your phone is.

Whether it’s in sight or not, that’s something noticed. Whether it's attached to your hand, in a purse, or in your pocket are all indicators of how involved in that little device you are.

2. What style of clothes you wear.

This is more of an on-campus or out and about factor but people definitely notice what you’re wearing and although college students tend to have the same taste in clothes for classes. They hint into what your interests are and how you carry yourself.

3. How firm your handshake and eye contact are.

I was always taught growing up to “always look in their eye” while giving a firm handshake with anyone. Since it was ingrained in my mind and I know others as well, it’s an encounter definitely noticed in interviews and meetings with those elder than you.

4. If you are involved in the conversation.

It sounds silly to think about but sometimes meeting someone for the first time and trying to have a conversation with them just don’t go well. They seem uninterested and it's obvious.

5. Positive or negative words.

The tone of the conversation is driven by words you use. What is noticed is whether you have a glass half full or half empty mentality. This can determine whether there is another conversation or if the interaction is to not be bothered with again.

6. Eye color.

This might just be something I do or something girls look at when coming across a not so bad looking man, but eye color is always something to stick with me after a first impression.

7. Any brands you are wearing.

As sad as it may sound, the brand of clothes you wear is noticed fairly quickly in conversation. Who you are talking to can become easily distracted and quickly fascinated with how/who you dress yourself with.

8. If you check a phone notification during your conversation.

This is a major one, especially when you are meeting someone new, and possibly an elder that does not care for cellular technology. If and how often you check your cell phone while talking to someone has a major impact on how they view you and gives an obvious insight to how you view them and their thoughts they share.