10 Things My Friends Have Said That Helped Me Develop My Sense Of Self

My friends are my family.

33
Friends

My friends are my biggest supporters, especially in giving advice when I'm down or lost in my own world. It could be about school, other friendships, relationships, my own mental health; they've never let me down. When I needed them, they were there. When they couldn't be physically there, they were there through phone calls, FaceTime, text messaging, and anything that would make me happy in that given moment. Needless to say, however thankful I may be in those times, it doesn't compare to all the times they have cheered me up with these lines.

"Instead of focusing on your insecurities, keep a list of all your pros that keep others happy!"

I know sometimes when we may be down, we tend to mope and groan and waste our lives buried under our blankets in bed. I mean, what other place competes with that level of comfort? But that is why we have friends and our friends always know how to keep our spirits lively and positive. Chandler from "Friends" is the best example. He knows his cons, but he chooses to stay enthusiastic and crack his dance moves every once in a while. I, for one, can be a Debbie Downer, but I try to have the same enthusiasm as he and the rest of my friends on a hot, energetic day with the sun rays shining down on me.

"Have faith, but not too much that you depend on it"

I feel like this line is somewhat overused, but it is real in a matter of cases. In fact, on some occasions, I am too positive and never think that something bad can come along and ruin the perfect day that I am currently having. But it DOES. Be happy, but not TOO happy.

"He may be cute, but he has no personality"

Yeah, my friends and I laugh about this one all the time. It happened too much to even be funny, but the first few times, we always did have a lot of inside jokes with it. If you didn't meet a guy that's like that, you haven't been in college long enough.

"Just because your parents are toxic doesn't mean they can get away with it"

We aren't always born into perfect parents or a perfect world, but we do choose our friendships. As much as we hate it, if there is toxicity with something or someone that's close to us, it isn't our responsibility to adapt or change these things or people. We just gotta deal with it and get away from the negativity. We do NOT under any circumstances have to stick to them.

"Time to order some food"

Enough said. It's time for some girl talk and tea.

"Gotta let all those tears out, never bottle up anything inside"

Us girls need to stick together and not let all our worries consume us. It's not healthy to bottle up our feelings until they one day explode on someone we never ever wanted to hurt.

"Grades aren't everything"

Yes, we met in school, yes, we have to study and do our homework. But our friendship does not revolve around grades, thank you very much. Grades are separate, and most importantly, they do not matter in life, AT ALL. It's about experience, love, and the enthusiasm to keep going, and the ambition to do so.

"You gotta listen"

Listening is the best medicine. Wait, is that right? Or laughter? But what about both? When you can both listen and laugh with your best friend about the joys and humors of life. When your friends remind you of the value of listening when you can't keep your mouth shut. Oh, the memories.

"We're synced!"

Guys, you probably won't understand. But girls, you sure do. Nothing is better than knowing that you and your best friend are both going through the stages of the utter and dreaded period. You're there for each other, but once your bodies are there for each other, you're bound for life.

"I love you"

The best line to ever cheer up a friend or a best friend. The most important three words. Eight letters.