5 Things My Mom And Dad Taught Me Without Realizing
Parents

What they didn't realize was all the little things they were teaching us in between.

1009
Ally Mishell Smith

Parents always have lessons that they teach you as you grow up. Remember your manners, say "Yes, ma'am" and "Yes, sir," no elbows on the table during dinner, etc. But what they didn't realize was all the little things they were teaching us in between.

Be the bigger person.

There were many times that I would come home from school and just cry because of all of the drama that was going on at school. My parents would constantly remind me to take the high road and be the bigger person, that the more I get upset about it and dwell on it, the more it feeds the drama.

If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

I think this is something that everyone's parents teach them, however, I think some people forget about it as they get older. My parents always reminded me that harsh language does nothing but hurt other people. Speak joy.

Always tell the people you love, how much you love them, as often as possible.

Before you hang up the phone, before you leave the house, before you go to bed, always say I love you. You never know when something could happen, and you never want to miss an opportunity to tell someone how much you love them.

4. Never go to bed angry.

Going to be angry just intensifies the anger. When you're angry, just dwell on the anger making whatever altercation there was seem worse than it really is.

In the end, Mama knows best.

My mom knows me better than anyone I know. Whatever decision I make, she can usually predict how it's going to go. So far, she hasn't been wrong.

I'm super thankful for my parents and everything they've taught me. I'm almost 20 years old and my parents are my best friends.