6 Annoying Things Little Sisters Do That Mean Much More

"You’re the biggest pain in the ass, but I guess I love you.”

1996
Amber Raiken

As everyone in my life gets older, myself included, the trust and admiration I have for someone just increases, that someone being my sister. All those cliches about your sister being your best friend and your sister being your role model turned out to actually be true for me, and I consider myself lucky for it. Even so, there are times where I know I get on her last nerves, and people may think I’m just annoying because I’m her little sister of course, however, I promise that there is reasoning to mine and all little sister’s madness.

1. Being Too Affectionate

Big Sister: "Why do you keep clinging onto me?

A Little Sister’s Real Reason: You’re the main person I feel connected to and feel the least alone with. It pains me sometimes to be separated, which is why I’m holding on while I can. You’re the one I’m most fond of, and you may not understand why, and I don’t completely get it either, but someday we both will.

2. Oversharing About My Life

Big Sister: “Are you mainly telling me all these details about things to be weird?”

A Little Sister’s Real Reason: Not to be weird but to be real. I wouldn’t want advice from anyone else, on whatever the aspect may be. Maybe I’m saying too much, but you’re the person that knows my emotions the most without my words. And the one person I never worry about not saying enough too. Your opinion on my various situations matters the most to me because I’m always looking up to you, physically and metaphorically.

3. Never Leaving Your Room When Your Friends/Boyfriend Are There

Big Sister:”Do you know what the definition of privacy is?”

A Little Sister’s Real Reason: Of course I know it, but in certain cases, I do not know how much I can trust it. Things can turn into big messes in only a little amount of time, and the last thing I’d want to see is you associating yourself with someone who would mess with you. This is the main reason why I always peek into the room and partly the reason why I tag along with your friends when you guys go out. I’d rather overprotect then even slightly neglect you.

4. Copying Things You Did When We Were Younger and Even Now

Big Sister: “Do you always have to do everything I do?”

A Little Sister’s Real Response: It’s really not about doing everything you do, it’s about being even remotely similar to you. It’s about having the compassion and sense of responsibility that you do, or maybe even working my way up to the success that you have today. It’s not and wasn’t about me wanting to twin with you in tops, it was about “twinning” with how well liked you were when I was 10 and you were 12, as well as with how confident you were 10 when I was 8.

5. Talking Too Much About Myself To Other People During Family Events

Big Sister: “Why are you bragging?”

A Little Sister’s Real Response: It’s not bragging, it’s showing that I still have almost as much going for me as you do. During family events, people talk about what’s going on in their lives, and you always have incredible somethings while I feel like I have mediocre nothings. So of course, I’m jealous of you. But all I really want people to know is that even though I’m not where you are, I’m constantly pushing through to be the incredible something that you’ve got and become.

6. Going Through All Your Business (Phones, Computer, etc.)

Big Sister: Are you looking through my texts, again?

A Little Sister’s Real Response: No, I’m making sure you’re alright. I’m making sure that nothing bad is going on in your life, as well as getting to partially see and live all the good things that may be going on with you. Even the things that you may think may be too much to tell, they’re things I’m open to hearing (sounds creepy right?)

I know this may of all sounded like an ode, but in actuality, it’s how every little sister sees their big sister. Even though we may be 331.7 miles away from each other and may not get to talk as often as I’d like to, I’ll never stop seeing you and stay connected to you through these annoying and meaningful ways.