Things to Leave in 2016

Things to Leave in 2016

Ditch these traits and habits for a happy and healthy new year.

7
Things to Leave in 2016
pixabay

Well, 2016 is done! If your year was anything like mine, you just breathed a sigh of relief. The start of a new year means turning over a new leaf, starting over. Letting go of any negative energy or people in your life. Here are a few things that we should all leave behind as we enter 2017.

1. Fair-weather friends.

Everyone has them-- people that are only around when it's convenient for them. People who don't put forth any effort to hang out with you, or never text you first. People who wouldn't be there for you if shit hit the fan. You don't need people like that. Leave them in 2016. Focus on the loyal people in your life.

2. Grudges.

Life is too short to be holding grudges. Now is the perfect time to let things go and start fresh. You don't have to forget, but forgiving is good for the soul.

3. Your insecurities.

If you enter 2017 with a laundry list of things you don't like about yourself, your confidence doesn't stand a chance. Focus on the things you do like about yourself and go from there.

4. Your fears.

Fear is the ultimate handicap. There is no hindrance like fear. Worrying about every little thing will only hold you back from doing what you want to do. Be adventurous this year--you don't want to look back on your life and regret not living it.

5. Self-criticism.

We all do it--beat ourselves up because we don't look like Kylie Jenner, or compare our success to the success of others. Stop it! Everyone is different, we are all on different journeys. I guarantee you have something special that others don't (even Kylie). Make your individual happiness and prosperity your number one priority.

6. Judgements.

What this world needs is love and acceptance. Too many people face scrutiny or abuse for being who they are. Let people do what makes them happy! Nine times out of ten, they are not bothering or threatening you in any way. Be kind and open-minded this year.

7. Pettiness.

I feel as though it has become a trend to be petty. Don't deliberately blow things out of proportion for the sake of being funny. It only makes you look childish.

Let me end by saying that there are plenty of other things I hope to never see in 2017. The Mannequin Challenge, waist trainers, Donald Trump (though that may be hard), overdrawn eyebrows, the list goes on. However, what's more important is improving ourselves as people, kicking our bad habits to the curb, and maintaining happy, healthy lifestyles.