19 Things In 19 Years

19 Things In 19 Years

And many more to go.

26
19 Things In 19 Years
Girl Rock

19 is such an odd age to be. You’re graduated from high school and referred to as a young adult, but you’re also somewhat of a teenager still figuring things out. Here are some of the things that I have learned in my 19 years of life so far.

• 1) Be thankful and live everyday like it was your last
  • 2) If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all
  • 3) Always tell the truth
  • 4) Mistakes will be made
  • 5) Keep your bridges stable and safe
  • 6) Learn to just say “OK”
  • 7) Being positive is contagious
  • 8) Don’t be afraid to be selfish
  • 9) Not everyone you meet in your life will be a fan of you and there’s nothing wrong with that
  • 10) Don’t always follow the crowd
  • 11) Be kind and humble
  • 12) Your feelings don’t always have to be explained
  • 13) It’s OK to not know what you want
  • 14) Happiness is a decision and a feeling
  • 15) Learn to say “NO”
  • 16) High self-esteem and confidence
  • 17) There is no shame in asking for help
  • 18) Boys are not worth your tears
  • 19) Have fun

Believe it or not, there are quite a handful of individuals in the world that don’t make it to the age 19. Unfortunately, sometimes the good die young and we may not know the reasons why, but God always has a plan for us. Always remember that. Embrace that you woke up to yet another beautiful day and be thankful.

I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I have been told that in my life. When I was a bit younger, I thought it was “fun” to call people out and make them feel bad. I know it sounds awful, but saying hurtful things to someone while you’re upset is honestly one of the worst things you can do. When everything is all said and done, you cannot take words you say back except by saying the five letter word ‘sorry.’

I am not perfect, so yes I have told my share of lies. I lied to my family about a really big issue I had that I couldn’t fix for two months because I was afraid that I would really hurt them with the truth and I made it seem like I had everything under control. Well, I didn’t and I had to keep telling more little lies to cover so I wouldn’t hurt them with the truth. In the end, it’s not the truth that hurts, it is the lying. I have learned to always be honest regardless of the circumstances.

The only way to learn in life is to make your mistakes and pay your consequences. When you make a mistake, accept what you learned from it, apply it to your life, and then move on with your life for the better.

We live in a large world. However, often we find ourselves saying, “It’s a small world.” That is the truth. Everyone knows everyone or someone who knows another person that you know. It’s difficult to put exactly into words, but just be careful with cutting ties with people. You seriously never know what your destiny is, or what your future will be, or who you’ll need in it. Always be the bigger person because if you’re bridge is burned with someone, then it’s going to be a lot of work getting on a boat to go see them again… Figuratively speaking of course.

This is something my aunt Dianna used to tell me when I was little. I still try to follow this rule to this day. It mostly goes along with accepting when you’re wrong when being disciplined by an elder or even now in the grown up world. If someone is yelling at you for something you did, then please never argue. It only leads to a much worse fight than the issue that you started out with. I have also taken this rule into consideration in my job when the higher ups talk to me about something I am doing wrong. So no matter how much you feel that you are right, when it comes to parents or bosses, don’t argue… Just say ‘OK’ and bite your tongue. I promise you’ll be glad that you did. Now be careful though, this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t speak your opinions and fight for what you believe in.

I truly mean this one when I say it. Nobody wants to be around a Debby Downer, let’s be honest here. If you surround yourself with positive/optimistic people, you will be a generally positive person yourself. The same goes for negativity though, so just watch who you keep close to you.

I know everyone tells you to always be selfless and that is true. Other people’s feelings and needs matter, but treat yourself and take care of yourself too while doing what makes YOU happy.

It’s not pleasing to hear that someone doesn’t like you. Don’t let it affect you in any way and just be happy with who you do have in your life!

Sometimes, the crowd’s may be looking enticing. A lot of the times though, what they’re doing isn’t morally right so stay your own person. You were made to be YOU, not someone else.

Always have your best attitude towards people and be kind. You never know what someone is going through in their life! Bragging about something or being rude to people may just be the trigger that could set them off.

You’re going to feel things that you don’t even understand yourself sometimes but don’t get a headache trying to explain them or make meaning out of them. Just let them run their course and enjoy your life!

At 19 we are still young, dazed, and confused so don’t try and figure everything out so quickly. The best part about life is the adventure! It’s okay to be unsure, embrace it while putting the puzzle pieces to your life together.

Choose to let yourself be happy.

If you aren’t quite feeling like doing something, don’t be afraid to say no because I have learned that if you tell people yes all of the time, then they will walk all over you. Don’t be a doormat to people!

Always have them because they are two very important qualities to possess. Low self-esteem isn’t fun to have and you’ll find yourself feeling better when you think positively about who you are.

Don’t try and put the weight of the world on your shoulders. If you need help, ask for it. You will definitely be glad you did!

I mean this one. Don’t over-think them, that’s it. Just don’t.

Don’t stress too much about certain things in your life! Be young and just be happy!