20 Things I Learned By My 20th Birthday

20 Things I Learned By My 20th Birthday

I may be young, but I have definitely learned a lot.

469
20 Things I Learned By My 20th Birthday
Nikhita Singhal

The weekend before writing this article, I would be turning twenty. This got me to thinking about how turning twenty was different from my other birthdays and what this decade would have in store for me. Thus, came the inspiration for writing about twenty things that a girl should know or should have figured out before she has turned 20.

All of the teen years leading up to this have been filled with heartbreak, happiness, let downs and many more events that would lead to a roller coaster of emotions. Here are twenty things that I definitely learned in my teen years, leading up to my twentieth birthday.

1. No matter what, your parents will always have your back even if you disappoint them.

2. Be yourself. Even if it may seem hard at the time, it will pay off in the future.

3. Never doubt your capabilities and always push yourself.

4. Feelings are confusing, but never hold back on how you feel about a situation.

5. Don't rely on anyone for happiness, make your own.

6. Boys will break your heart and you will forgive them no matter what. Try to not lose yourself in the process of these confusing relationships.

7. Put as much effort into long-distance friendships as possible-- these will be the ones to stick around for longest if you work on them.

8. Try out new things like yoga or kayaking-- being adventurous can be fun.

9. Try to get a job it will teach you independence.

10. Getting your first paycheck makes you feel like you are on top of the world.

11. It's okay to put yourself first.

12. Crying is good for the soul.

13. Some friendships don't last and that's okay.

14. You can't change anyone, they have to change themselves.

15. Always tell your parents that you love them.

16. Not going out sometimes is not the end of the world.

17. School is tough, so don't beat yourself up if you aren't able to get the grades you want.

18. Never judge people based on what you hear about them, a lot of the time they end up being different.

19. Being selfish in some instances is actually necessary for your happiness.

20. You are young and you have so much time ahead of you to figure out your life.