11 Things You Know Only If You Go To College Where It Gets Cold

Darty SZN is the craziest time of the year.

252
Instagram

If you go to college where it gets cold during the year, then you know that this can be a struggle.

There gets to be a point where you are begging that it will just get to be above 10 degrees. Going to a college where it's freezing is tough and not everyone can do it. It is definitely for the people who are strong.

There are also a lot of good and funny things about going to college where it gets cold, however. You learn and do a lot of things that you would never do if you went somewhere warm for school.

1. Classes not being cancelled due to weather

There have been many times where there has been a wind chill of -25 degrees and I climbed out of bed, put on two coats and walked to class at 7:45 a.m.

Most of the times the professors just expect you to make it to class no matter what the temperature.

2. Watch out for ice

Everyone sees it when you are walking and slip up on some ice.

Well, when you go to college where ice is around all the time you have to watch out for it — and most of the time you aren't the only one who might slip up. There's usually a constant line of people who wipe out.

3. Wireless headphones turn off in the cold

If you're walking around in the cold and want to listen to music, make sure your headphones aren't wireless. I've had my wireless headphones on and they last about two minutes.

After that, they turn into just some expensive earmuffs — so plan accordingly.

4. 40 degrees feels like 60 degrees in spring

Once winter starts turning into spring and the temperature rises to above 40, it will feel like it's time to go do something outside. It may be for only one day but you will see people enjoying the weather like it is 60 degrees out because you'll be doing the same thing.

5. There will always be those people who wear shorts when it's 10 degrees out

I swear it has been freezing cold out and snowing and I still see people walking around with shorts on.

You think to yourself "they have to be freezing right?" as you are bundled up with 4 layers on and still cold. It is quite the sight to see.

6. The urge to go out to parties/bars will decrease

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday night where you normally expect to go out and do something, many times the best option is to just stay in and have fun with some friends/roommates.

Most of the time it won't be that busy or you'll freeze walking there. So drinking games at your place become the move.

7. The bus will be packed all the time

If your campus has a bus that goes on continuous laps around the campus, then that bus will become 10 times more packed when it gets cold outside.

8. Darty SZN is the craziest time of the year

After being bound up for three to four months due to the cold, darty season will be absolutely insane.

It will be the best time of the year because what do most college students want to do when it gets to be warm and sunny outside? Drink and have a good time — and darties are the perfect mix.

9. Use the weather outside as a freezer

I live in an apartment with five other people and we have one freezer for all of us, so to say its packed is an understatement.

So, use the freezing cold outside to act as another freezer, keep food outside (just be careful when it starts to warm up) and make ice.

10. Embrace and enjoy the weather

There may be a lot of struggles of going to college in the cold, but there are also a lot of advantages.

Build a snowman with friends, have a big snowball fight with people or go sledding. Doing those things will decrease stress, as well as help to form many great memories.

11. Going somewhere warm on spring break will make you question why you go to college in the cold

If you go down to Florida or Texas, you will question why you don't go to school down there because of how warm and nice it is all the time. But that will last for about three days and then you'll miss your college.