Things Kids From Divorced Parents Know All Too Well

Because there are just somethings we all have in common.

16
The Blue Diamond Gallery

For the majority of my life, my parents have been divorced. They split up whenever I was about three, and unlike most kids, I believe it was one of the best things that could have happened to me. My parents divorced shaped my life and allowed me to have different experiences than others.

Here is my list of things that kids from divorced parents know too well, but with a positive twist.

1. Double Holidays.

Christmas, Birthdays, Easters, Thanksgiving, you name it. Whenever you have a large family on either side this can get tricky. I spend most of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day running around to multiple gatherings. All divorce kids know that this is one of the few perks we heard of as a kid.

2. Asking for something, being told no, then asking the other parent and getting a yes.

Don’t even lie, we have all done it.

3. Step-parents.

They’re not all like the wicked step monster from Cinderella. Most are awesome, and serve as a great parental figure whenever your biological isn’t around.

4. Half Siblings!

Let me tell you what, this is my favorite. If it weren’t for half-siblings, I wouldn’t have any siblings at all. Not that I ever think of them as being “half” my sibling, I also know they wouldn’t have been possible had my parents stayed together. Even if I would have been given siblings later on, they still wouldn’t be MY siblings that I have now.

5. Step-Siblings.

Same concept. Because of my parents’ divorce, I grew up in one household where there was three of us kids, and in the other there was four. Being surrounded by so many other kids growing up really made life interesting and fun.

6. Changing Routines.

Okay, so this one can be both a positive and a negative. Growing up I went from one house one week, to another the next. While this wasn’t always the best situation to set a routine, it also allowed me to have different experiences every week. Dinners were different. Project and homework help was different. Everything switched up, and I believe this is one reason why I am so well-rounded and can adapt to change.

7. Happier More Dedicated Parents.

Usually in a household with two parents, one usually takes “charge” and is the more nurturing, stern, and “parental” figure. Since both of my parents were forced into that role, I got to see side of both of my parents. While their parenting styles may not have always been the same, I still was allowed to see both my parents focusing on me while at each of their homes. Also, removing themselves from an unhappy situation allowed me to see the happier and better sides of my parents throughout my life.

So, unlike popular belief, not all kids think of their parents’ divorce as having a negative impact on their life. Were there days when I was a kid that I wished my parents were still together? Absolutely. However, as I have grown and looked back my parents made the best decision both for themselves as well as me. I wouldn’t be half the person I am, or have anywhere near the same life had my parents stayed together.

Shout out to all the divorce kids!