18 Things I've Learned In 18 Years

18 Things I've Learned In 18 Years

Life is trial & error.

30
18 Things I've Learned In 18 Years
Jessica Lu

18 is an overrated age. I suppose that I am not 100% qualified in saying that as I am not even half way through my eighteenth year. Anyways, what I am trying to say is that the minute I turned 18 nothing felt different. You might want to upgrade to your senior drivers license so you can drive past 9 pm or buy a lotto ticket if you believe in that symbolism, but the memories you make at any age are the important ones, not just for the 18th year. Also, even though you are finally an adult, one really treats you like a real adult and I still go to the pediatrician that gives me Superman and Thor band-aids. Even if no one else seems to feel that you've learned a lot or are wise, you probably feel that you have at least learned something during the 18 years.

1. If you are patient, something positive will come your way eventually.

Without fail.

2. You can't compare yourself to others.

"The fastest way to kill something special is to compare it to something else" - Anonymous

3. Being the only child isn't the best.

You probably somewhat like going over to your friend with six siblings' house as that is much more eventful.

4. Meditating is harder than it seems.

Trying to quiet your mind and staying present is nearly impossible, but hey, if you keep trying maybe one day it'll work and we can all do yoga together.

5. We don't deserve dogs, they're too precious and kind.

For about 6 years I was so afraid of dog as my old neighbor's yapppy chihuahua latched onto my pant leg and won't let go. Fortunately, I have gotten over my fear of small dogs and have become the person that sprints toward the fluffball of joy whenever I see a puppy. Yeah, dogs of all ages are pups.

6.Enjoying something is much more important than excelling at something.

Do you really have to be the next Serena Williams? Who are you kidding, there will never be a replacement for Serena and plus your best effort is way more important than "success."

7. College squirrels are different than squirrels you see back home.

In my backyard at home I don't see squirrels that will scurry towards you rapidly rather than away; at college the squirrels are much more brave. Strange.

8. It's okay to take a mental-health day.

Especially in high school. Enough said, high school was rough so please take a day off when needed to watch How to Get Away With Murder on your couch while eating a kit kat. That is if you like HTGAWM and chocolate doesn't make you break out in hives.

9. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Interpret this in any way suited for your situation.

10. Getting a job while in high school teaches you basic skills on how to deal with people.

I worked at McDonalds for a year and a half. I am great at handling screaming mothers and young children who dump their entire Shamrock shake on the table.

11. New York Pizza is the best

I might be biased and also keep in mind that I have only lived in Beijing, North Jersey and New York.

12. It's possible to get along with people that have different views than us.

If not we would all be like Donald Trump, and no one wants that. At least I don't. One is plenty.

13. Watch Parks and Rec instead of Schindler's List when you are sad.

This one is self explanatory.

14. Forgiving someone lifts a weight off your shoulders.

Letting go of something that hurt so much is one of the most difficult tasks, but I assure you that when you're ready, forgiveness is the right think to do.

15. Forgive yourself.

The world is already pretty good at showcasing harsh realities, so there is no benefit to being so hard on yourself.

16. People have different ways to show that they care.

Just because you have a friend that is bad at responding to text messages doesn't mean that they don't care enough. The time spent with someone is most important.

17. Give as much as you can.

Helping others is one of the most satisfying things. When you give instead of just constantly expecting to receive, you learn much more.

18. Not everything is personal.

I'm indirecting/subtweeting the college process in this point.