Things I've Learned From My Dad

Things I've Learned From My Dad

Dads are great people to learn from.

48
Things I've Learned From My Dad
Keilin Moffatt

Kids are constantly learning from their parents. Even now, as an adult, I notice myself becoming more and more like them every day. Parents usually hope it’s the good habits or traits that their children adopt. My parents may not know it but they are the reason I’m the person I am today. They’ve taught me lessons without sitting down to purposefully teach me those lessons. Although my mom was my only parent for half my life, I’ve learned quite a few things from my dad too.

There are so many things I’ve learned from my dad: how to build a fire, how to throw a football, how my truck engine works, etc. But the best things I learned from him “how to.” They are life lessons that make me a better happier person. Here are some of the ways he’s contributed to my life without even realizing it.

He taught me that a sense of humor is important.

My dad and I have a very similar sense of humor: sarcastic and witty. From him, l learned that you can’t take life too seriously. A sense of humor relieves the stresses of life and sometimes you need to make fun of yourself. Plus, who wants to around someone with no sense of humor?

He taught me to work hard.

My dad has always worked hard at his job. Roofing is not an easy task and he has done it for over 30 years. Anything he does, he works hard at it and doesn’t quit. I’ve learned from him and try to work hard at anything I do as well.

He taught me to always be loyal to your favorite football team.

In my family, we are all Florida Gator fans. My dad has been a gator fan for as long as I’ve known him and no doubt much longer than that. It’s no secret that the Gators have had great seasons and crappy seasons. But my dad has watched nearly every game and every football season, he cheers for the Gators no matter how we are playing.

He taught me that friends are your chosen family.

I call my dad’s best friend my uncle. They aren’t blood-related but they consider each other brothers. I adopted that mentality with my sister. We aren’t blood-related but our bond is so strong, that it feels wrong just calling her my friend. He treats any of his friends or my friends like that. He considers my friends his kids as well. All my friends call my parents “mom” and “dad” because that is how they treat my friends, like their other kids.

He taught me growing up is optional.

Being an adult when you need to is important but growing up is optional. My dad can be an adult but he can also be a kid too. He’s mature but still fun and silly. His inner child is still alive and that inspires me to keep my inner child alive too.

He taught me to always take the time to appreciate good music.

We have similar taste in music so it’s easy for us to agree on what good music is. When an artist that we like comes to our city, my first choice is to go with him. We may not talk the whole time, but we both know we are having a good time. I remember the night before I started sixth grade, three southern rock bands, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Blackfoot, and Molly Hatchet, came to our hometown and we went. We were out late and I definitely went to school the next morning, but we had so much fun and I think that fueled my love for music.

He taught me that any guy can father a child, but it takes a man to step up and be a dad, especially to a child that isn’t biologically his.

My dad is technically my stepdad. For half my life it was just me and my mom. Just us girls and I was content with that. But when they got married our family grew by just a little bit more but the love in our family grew so much more.

My dad is one of my best friends, along with my mom and a couple others. He didn’t have to step up and love me like his own. The song “He Didn’t Have To Be” by Brad Paisley reminds me of him. I hope I’m at least half the parent that he didn’t have to be.Su