18 Things I Learned At 18

18 Things I Learned At 18-Years-Old

It's been an age of growth.

385
18 Things I Learned At 18-Years-Old
Rachel Neal

One of the most monumental ages you turn in eighteen. It's something almost everyone anticipates. It's when you're finally considered legal, are referred to as an adult, and when you can start to truly do things on your own.

With my nineteenth birthday coming up, I wanted to reflect on the past year and all the life lessons that came with it. With that being said, here are eighteen things I learned at eighteen.

1. At the end of the day all you have is yourself, so you should love who you are

I've always struggled with seeing myself in a positive light. Whenever I looked in the mirror, I would notice every single flaw and work myself up over it. Whenever I was out with friends, I would constantly feel like I was being too loud or annoying. Whenever something wrong happened, I would always blame myself for the outcome. Over the past year I've learned to love myself, my imperfections, my personality and my choices. You're going to spend the rest of your life with yourself, so you better start accepting who you are.

2. Know your worth

It's easy to get stuck up on trying to impress someone because you want to be accepted. It happens. Take a step back, realize that if someone doesn't want to like you for who you are, then they aren't worth your time. You are worthy of being surrounded by people that truly care.

3. Take risks

Throughout the past year, I've been met with so many obstacles where I had multiple outcomes I could've chosen. Do I go to a college I applied to as a safety school, or take a year off? Do I join the club where I don't know anyone in it, or do I sit back and watch them have it without me? Do I change my major or stick with the same one even though I'm unhappy? These are all things that I took a risk on, and they turned out to be the best decisions of my life.

4. Remind the people you love that you love them

You never know when a person will be gone. I learned this the hard way when my friend's dad passed away. It made me realize that I should start reminding my family and friends more often just how much I love and care for them. Time is too short. You'll be glad you did it.

5. Put your phone down once in a while

Some of my best life memories don't involve me using my phone (unless I'm taking pictures of course). Go outside, hang out with friends, do something crazy. Leave your phone in the car, in your pocket and simply just away from where you are. Have moments where it's just you and the world you're living in. It'll make for an amazing story.

6. Things happen, friends fight

I don't know a single person who has never gotten into a fight with one of their closest friends. It happens to almost everyone. Sometimes it goes on for a day, sometimes weeks, and sometimes even months. If that person comes back into your life, you know it was meant to be. Talk it out, apologize, and continue right where you left off. You have the rest of your life to make more memories.

7. Buy the concert tickets

Going to a concert, meeting up with friends, getting Chickie's and Pete's Crab Fries and singing and dancing along to your favorite music is the best thing you could do for your soul. It refreshes you and makes you feel alive. Save up and go to that concert. You'll thank yourself later.

8. Take time for yourself

It's okay to spend a night by yourself doing a face mask while listening to music, watching Netflix, reading a book, etc. The list goes on. Do something that makes you feel relaxed. You deserve it, and it'll help you to feel refreshed and ready to take on the next day.

9. Stop caring what other people think

It's sometimes hard to do this. I often pressure myself to always look my best and be my best incase anyone is watching. Long story short: be yourself. Dress how you want, act how you want, be whoever you want.

10. Surround yourself with the right people

It's so important to have friends that fully support you, unconditionally love you, and will drop something to do anything for you. Make sure you surround yourself with people who do all three of those things and more.

11. Treat yourself

It's okay to spend money on yourself every once in a while. Get those shoes you've been eyeing up for the past few months, go to a fancy dinner with friends, get another candle to add to your collection... not everything has to be about saving money all the time.

12. Travel

Whenever you get the chance to travel, take it willingly. There's so much of the world to explore and you have your whole life to do it. Why not start now?

13. Making new friends is good for the soul

It's always good to expand your bubble and make new connections with people. In college, I got to do just, that through the clubs I've joined and even through my sorority. It's so refreshing to meet people you've never talked to before and build lasting relationships with them.

14. You don't always need to wear makeup

Some days I wake up and don't feel like concealing my face or wearing mascara to enhance my eyes. But if my skin isn't looking it's best that day, or I don't like how my eyes look, I'll fight through it because I'd rather look good than be comfortable. I learned to do the opposite and be comfortable rather than "looking good". Natural beauty is the best beauty, after all.

15. Write down EVERYTHING

Having a planner is the best thing you could ever do for yourself. Writing down everything from my work schedule and school assignments to meetings and hangouts with friends, I found that I always stay on top of everything. Keeping this habit throughout my whole life is the only way I'll actually remember what I need to get done.

16. Keep in touch with those who moved away

Some of my best friends moved away to college. While the distance ranges from a 30 minute drive to a five hour flight, it's always important to keep in contact with them no matter what. Communication is key, and make sure whenever you get the chance that you make the effort to see them.

17. Be as creative as you can

There's no limitations to what you can do. Think outside the box, do something original, and make a brand for yourself. Creativity is how you get yourself to be known.

18. Everything happens for a reason

Cliche, but it's true. Throughout all the obstacles I've gone through during my eighteenth year, I've realized that they all happened to I could take a different (and better) path. I'm completely happy and content with where I am right now and it's all thanks to the things in my life that happened for a reason.

Being eighteen has taught me so much. I know I'll only keep continuing to grow and flourish as each birthday passes.