Things A College Freshman Is Thankful For

9 Things I'm Especially Thankful For Now That I’m A Freshman At College

There are definitely some things that I took for granted ever since I left home and came to college.

70
Personal Cover Photo

Of course, I'm thankful for the big things back home, like family and friends. But how about the smaller things? Below is a list of things I definitely am thankful for whenever I'm home during a break:

Dad and Mom's cooking

I can only take so much takeout and dining hall food before I go crazy and start craving my parent's cooking. I miss going to the kitchen and smelling the aroma of any delicious dish they put together, so once I go home for break, my presence in the kitchen will be super strong.

A mattress without a shifting mattress topper

Whenever I get off my half-lofted bed in my dorm room, my mattress topper shifts and I aggravatedly have to push it back to its original position. I'm just excited to go back to a comfortable mattress that doesn't make me feel like I'm falling every time I hop off!

Music during the shower

Performing in the shower was a must for me back at home. I still lowkey do it here at college, but I can't truly perform (if you know, you know). I'm so thankful for my shower back home where I can belt out lyrics.

Facetiming in my bed

At home, I used to facetime laying on my bed all the time. But it's harder when you're at college and sharing a room with another person. Therefore, I have to always go to a lounge, but it's never as comfortable as my own bed. So, I'm thankful for the ability to freely facetime whoever I want in the comfort of my own bed back at home.

Blasting music at 2 a.m.

Even though some people don't respect quiet hours, I do, so I feel extremely guilty for blasting music at the crack of dawn when I'm writing that troubling essay. At home though, I can blast music whenever I want, and I am so thankful for that.

Having a car to go to class

I remember the good old days when I almost never had to step out into the frigid cold after I got to my high school building. But now, every time after a lecture, I have to walk outside to the next destination with my hands buried in my jacket pocket, my head engulfed in a cozy beanie, and my neck wrapped in the warmest scarf.

The ability to take a shower barefoot

No explanation needed. I'm just greatly thankful for this.

Not having to pay for laundry

Not only is laundry annoying to do, but you also have to pay to do it at college. I miss doing my laundry for free at home and am so thankful for that now.

A bathroom that is clean

Everywhere I look in the girl's communal bathroom, there's hair everywhere: in the shower, in the sink, on the toilet seat. I'm just thankful for a hairless bathroom back home.