A Few Things Humans Could Learn from Their Dogs

Man's best friend could teach us all a few things.

8
Alexis Davis

My entire life I have known the saying, "dogs are a man's best friend." Growing up, I had seen people treating their dogs like royalty, almost as one of their children. I understood that these furry friends were cute, cuddly and fun to play fetch with. There are a few things that I did not realize about having a best friendship with a dog, until in my second year of college when I gained a lifelong partnership with my month old Yorkie, Reese. Throughout the past two or so years I have come to realize that I enjoy the company of my tiniest friend over most human interactions. Reese has taught me that humans could learn a thing or two from their K9 counterparts:

1. Loyalty

Dogs are known as the most loyal creatures on the planet, and this is something I have learned to be true. My fur baby is always there for me, regardless of what I am doing. Not only does my dog spend countless days following me around everywhere I go, laying in bed with me on my lazy days, or on my lap while I am finishing hours on end of homework assignments, but he is always there waiting by the door for me when I come home. Dogs want nothing more than to make you happy and they prove that day in and day out.

2. Happiness

I am not sure what we humans did to deserve dogs! Our furry best friends take on the duty of trying to spread endless amounts of happiness everywhere they go. Just looking at a cute puppy can almost bring you to tears with joy. Dogs see it as their job to make sure that you lead a happy life each and everyday, not expecting anything in return but your love. When you are sad, they always know exactly how to cheer you up, whether its with a game of fetch or the need for a cuddle buddy, Lulu will never let you down.

3. Persistence

Dogs love a schedule. They are always persistent with their timing. They wake up around the same time everyday are ready to be fed and let out accordingly. It is not often that a dog will surprise you with their behaviors. They gain a personality that we as humans start to understand and our interactions with one another thrive this way. You never worry how a dog will react and they are always on time.

4. Companionship

While living on my own in college, I have had roommates, but the one roommate who never lets me down is Reese. Every night when I go to sleep I know I will have him in my bed, nestled under the covers, cuddling as close as possible to me. Nothing in the world feels better than cuddling with your dog. There can weeks where I haven't been able to leave the house let alone my room for multiple days, doing homework, and studying, a moment in anyone's life that might just make them go insane. But Reese is always there for me. I find myself talking to him about most anything, while some might say that is crazy, I say, if you don't talk to your dog, then you are the weird one. Dogs spend their entire lives building a friendship with you that cannot be broken.

5. Unconditional Love

Dogs will stop at nothing to prove their love for you. Even when they have been punished for a piddle on the carpet, they look for your approval that you still love them. As they spend their lives trying to make us happy, they ask for nothing in return but to be fed, walked, and have a place to sleep. Reese loves me even when I won't play fetch with him. Even when I've been out of the house for a little too long. Even when I accidentally step on his foot. Even after I give him one of those baths that he hates so much. We have done absolutely nothing as human beings to deserve the kind of unconditional love that the company of our dogs continues to give us. If only people could treat each other with the same respect a dog and his owner share, the world would be a much better place.