4 Things Every High School Senior Thinks About

What's next for us?

5
Erica Yoshii

Senior year is a stressful time for us 18 or 19 year olds. Where are we going to college? Will I see these people again? Money! As a senior in high school, there are so many things that we are thinking about, especially now. As of Sunday, May 15th, 2016 I have exactly 30 days until my graduation and 26 days until my last day of school. Here are four things everyone in my senior class and maybe every senior class thinks about when they're this close to graduation.

1. Graduation

The thought that we will be graduating in 30 days is just mind-boggling. We're all trying to squeeze as much as we possibly can into the rest of our senior year. If you are like me, within the last month and a half of your senior year you went to your first party, went to prom or just tried something new in general. Soon we will be done with high school forever. Just a two-hour long ceremony and we're done.

2. Where am I going?

The big question, where are you going? By this time we all should have committed to a school or decided what we're doing after high school. Some of us will go straight into the workforce and some of us will head off to college, whether it be in state or out of state. Deciding where to go to college might have been the hardest or the easiest decision we have ever made. For me, it was fairly easy–as soon as I was accepted into FIDM, I dropped every other plan I had because I knew that digital media is what I wanted to study and FIDM was the only place that would allow me to do that while being in the area that was key for that industry.

3. Money!

How on earth am I supposed to pay for this? I make minimum wage. A lot of the scholarships that I can apply for through my school are only for in-state schools. I'm going to California–that is definitely not in my home state of Washington. Scholarships are hard for me to get because I was not the best high school student despite all the AP classes I took in hopes of being a good student. High school just wasn't my thing, but hopefully I can figure out how to pay for this so I can succeed in college.

4. Friends

Where are they going? Most of them are going to various colleges throughout the state of Washington and let me tell you, I'm going to miss them so much! At least we still get the whole summer together. Hopefully we will get to see each other as much as we can throughout the rest of our lives as well. I'm excited for what the future brings, not only with my old friends but with new friends that I will hopefully make along the way.

I have had some amazing experiences throughout my high school career and I can't wait to see what college brings me.