15 Unconventional Things ONLY High School Cheerleaders Miss After Graduation

When you become a retired cheerleader, you'll miss it pretty quickly.

498
Ray Dumas / Flickr

Every high schooler misses their respective sport when they leave for college. Built on a combination of mental strength, physical strength, community, family love and a shared passion for the sport; cheerleaders aren't like any other athlete.

We spend all of our time training, and when we're not, we're thinking about it. So when we officially become retired cheerleaders, we start to miss it pretty quickly. And, funny enough, we begin to crave the weird, "unconventional" athlete things first — it's what kept us sane and individualized throughout our years of cheering after all.

1. Throwing a bow in our high ponytails every Friday

Accompanied by an entire bottle of hairspray and tons of glitter. Because wearing a massive bow in college isn't socially acceptable.

2. That moment you stop breathing when you finally land a stunt

Because holding your teammate in the air is so much more important than breathing, right?

3. Sore muscles after a long practice

When you feel the soreness in your arms and legs before you walk off the mat for the day, you know it was a tough practice.

4. Wearing your uniform to school

Let's face it: walking into your classes and through the hallways in your cute uni made you feel way cooler than you actually were.

5. Team bonding

Everyone's mother would complain about making time to go out with the girls you already spend 99 percent of your time with, but truthfully, we all miss those pile-ins and movie night cuddles.

SEE ALSO: 20 Signs You Were A High School Cheerleader

6. Your stunt group family

Your stunt group is your ride-or-die. You spent 90 percent of practice with them, running through stunts over and over and over again until they were perfect. You learned how everyone worked and what their strengths and weaknesses were. It was an unspeakable (yet unbreakable) bond.

7. Standing on the football field under the lights

Again, it made you feel way cooler and way more important that you actually were. That field became like your second home by the end of high school.

8. Your coach

Even though most of the time she was telling us to rerun something and we all wanted to pass out right then and there, she was always your biggest fan and you knew it as well.

9. That millisecond right after you toss your flier in the air

You knew immediately whether the toss was going to be good or not. When it was good, you were on cloud nine. And when it wasn't, you were already mentally preparing yourself for the push-ups and laps you'd have to run as a consequence.

10. Summer training

Current cheerleaders: hear me out. You will be thankful that you had somewhere to be and a team to be with. Also, that team is your family — do not ever take them for granted.

11. Long bus rides

Because believe it or not, hour-long bus rides with music blasting and singing at the top of your lungs with your best friends can cure anything (even post-losing-game feels).

12. Losing your voice after a full night of cheering

Waking up the next morning without a voice proves that a. you did your job and b. you had a good time doing it.

13. Finding glitter everywhere

If you didn't find glitter on your face, in your hair, car, shower and clothes after game day, did you even cheer?

14. Your last game day ever

It was simultaneously the best and worst game you'll ever experience. Best because cheering with your team is something you have immense love for, and worst because, well, you'll never be able to do it again.

15. Knowing your teammates always had your back

I bonded with my best friends through the secret-BFF-club that was our cheer team, and there is nothing I would change about our friendship. Our bond is forever.