11 Things That Happen When You Work From Home

After college, I expected that my first job would be somewhere in a cubicle or office, surrounded by my coworkers and spending my days at my desk and in meetings. But, that's not how things worked out for me.

Here are some things that happen when you work from home.

1. You’ll (probably) be able to set your own hours.

When you're on your own, it's likely that your boss doesn't really care exactly when you work during the day, as long as you get your hours. If you're an early bird like me, you can get up and get your day started. Or you can sleep in and start later in the morning.

2. Sweatpants and hoodies become your go-to work uniform.

For my job, I don't have any webcam meetings, so my appearance doesn't matter. Since I've started my job, I spend 100% of my time in comfy clothes.

3. When you tell people about your job, they always say “you can work in your pajamas!”

Not once have I worked in my pajamas. I never will either.

4. You’re not stuck at a desk.

Since you're in the comfort of your own home, you don't have to stay anchored to your desk. Though I'm at my desk most of the time, I do move to the couch occasionally. It's a luxury you just won't get at the office.

5. You can guzzle down coffee all day long.

I brew my coffee in the evening and refrigerate it so it's ready to go in the morning for iced coffee. No sharing the pot with coworkers.

6. You can easily go hours without talking to anyone.

Again, since I don't have meetings, it's just me, working in front of my laptop for 8 hours a day. By the time the day is over, you've practically forgotten what other people's voices sound like.

7. Other people wish they had your “privilege” of working at home.

Whenever I've told someone that I work from home, they seem a bit jealous. Many times, someone has told me things like "I wish I could do that!" "Working from home would be so handy!" and similar remarks.

8. It might be several days before you leave the house.

With how my schedule is now, if I don't make plans with friends, I'll only leave my house twice a week. Of course, this would be different if I was married with kids and had my own house.

9. You save a lot of money.

If you think about it, there's a lot of expense that goes into working outside the home. You have to spend money on dress clothes, gas to get to and from work, your lunch, wear and tear on your car, and so much more. All of those expenses are eliminated by working at home.

10. You save a lot of time.

I don't have to get up early to "get to" work. My commute is just walking down some stairs. When my workday is over, I can start doing my own thing right away. No time wasted in traffic or on the road.

11. It’s totally worth it – at least for now.

I enjoy working from home. I like that it's saving me a lot of money and time, yet I can still do something I love. I don't know if I'll work from home forever, but for now, it works for me.