While listening to Red Jumpsuit Apparatus my housemate and I were reminiscing about our middle school years - the angsty music, skinny jeans, and eyeliner - when she claimed that she never went through an emo phase. I just laughed at this ridiculous claim. As one of the most joyful people you have ever met, I can tell you that my love for the emo scene is alive and well. Here is a collection of moments that every ex-emo kid knows too well.
1. Music Was Culture
I'm the one in the pink flannel...
2. Super Skinny Jeans Were Just Considered ‘Jeans’
You wouldn't be caught DEAD in a pair of boot cuts.
3. Your Arches Are Ruined By Your Converse/Vans Obsession
No one ever told you it would be like this.
4. You Still Have A Crush Crush Crush On Hayley Williams
And/or you wanted to be her.
5. Your Hair Is Damaged By Excessive Straightening and/or Hair Dye
Possibly stemming from your love of Hayley.
6. My Chemical Romance Gave You All The Feels
7. Eyeliner Was The Only Makeup You Needed
And you would not only wear it on your lids, but under your eyes as well.
8. You Can Name Every Member Of Fall Out Boy
And you would FREAK if you met any of them.
10. The Love You Had For Secondhand Serenade Is A Dirty Little Secret
11. Speaking Of…
12. Don’t Even Get Me Started On Hot Topic
The tees, studded belts, and band bracelets!
13. And Mirror Selfies
Bonus points if you had unnecessary flash and a band tee.
14. But It Was A Time You'll Never Forget
Were you an emo kid? Maybe it wasn't "just a phase" and you still are. Have you just found out that you were oblivious to this part of your life? Let me know in the comments below :-)