7 Things Every College Student Misses About School Over Winter Break

When you start to miss your second home.

10
Katherine McConnell

When I come home for winter break after finals, it is great to relax for a few days. Catching up with friends and family and snuggling your pets can't be beat. Having time to recharge, make some extra money at work, and celebrate the holidays is something every college student looks forward to. After a while though, I start to miss school. These are 7 of the things I miss the most about my home away from home.

1. The Friends

These people are easily what I miss the most when I am home on breaks. I love being home and reconnecting with the few hometown friends I still keep in touch with, but I still miss my college friends. Late night "study parties" with the people you love watching endless movies and shamelessly stuffing your face with Chinese just can't be beat. Not to mention spontaneous hiking trips, Walmart runs to dye your friend's hair blue, and other adventures. Another plus? All of your friends are basically in walking distance.

2. Your Clubs and Activities

I never saw myself joining fencing, but it was one of the best decisions I made in my college career. I made some of the best friends I ever had while trying something new. When you are away from school, you usually don't have as much opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone for little or no cost. When I am on break I always miss this. I also miss the clubs and organizations more related to my major that give me opportunities to advance in my career path.

3. Operating On Your Own Schedule

When I am at school my schedule is always packed. However, this isn't always too bad because it means I can do anything at anytime. Shower at 2:30 am? There is nobody to wake up. Nap after your 8 am before your 11 am class starts? That hour is all yours and your bed is a short walk away. Finishing a project at 4 am? The library is always open. Having your own space and worrying about your own schedule is refreshing.

4. Your Roommate

I have had roommate horror stories in the past. However, this past semester I have had one of the best roommates I have ever had. Having a friend around 24/7 is awesome. I definitely miss the random conversations at 3 am. Not to mention, she was from Finland so I was able to learn a lot more about life outside of the United States while making a new friend.

5. Your Professors And Classes

The criminology department honestly has the best professors. I mean crazy, intelligent, interesting people that have literally changed my life and have increased my interest in my field. Although some of my classes drive me crazy, I have learned a lot in many of them. Even if I don't like the class or see value in taking it, finishing a 10-15 page paper for it and getting an A still feels pretty good.

6. Your Food On And Off Campus

Although campus food can seriously suck, you start to miss it when you are away from school for so long. Especially the cookies from the dining hall or coffee from Einstein's. Not to mention my favorite off-campus restaurants. Everyone has one. I literally had a dream about Romeo's bread sticks with their ranch dressing the other night...

7. Campus Amenities and Events

Having "free" access to an awesome gym and intramural volleyball is great motivation to workout. Cheap or free basketball, football and hockey games are also pretty bomb. Even concerts at school are pretty great. Super cheap tickets to Ozzy Osbourne, All Time Low, and Mac Miller? Yes, please!