16 Times I Think I Would Be A Different Girl If I Had A Brother

Being an only child is cool, but sometimes I wish I had a brother.

750
Bess Hamiti

Don't get me wrong, I love being an only child. I got so much one-on-one time with my both my parents. I had my own name at school. I was able to grow into my own person, and I didn't have to share the spotlight.

But I always wanted a brother. I wanted a brother because I always got along better with the boys at school. They didn't pick on me or make fun of my clothes. They just wanted to play. I always thought I was meant to be a someone's sister. Here is every time I like think it would be better if I had a brother:

1. When I was being bullied in grade school.

I always thought if I had a brother, older or younger, he wouldn't let the bullying happen to me.

2. When I was lonely on a Saturday afternoon.

Almost every Saturday between the ages of 6 and 10.

3. When I had my first heartbreak.

In high school, boys are mean. I went along with their games without reading the rules. I know a brother wouldn't let me be so dumb.

4. When I was the only child on a family vacation.

Road trips before headphones and portable DVD players, I learned "how to annoy everyone else in the car." Having a brother would've been a totally different experience.

5. When I discovered my love of hockey.

In hopes that my brother would like hockey like I do.

6. When I needed help to cover up how hungover I really was.

"No mom, it's just a headache." Brothers know better. They won't always make it better (banging pans, opening shades, playing loud music), but they could cover it up.

7. When I could use a little friendly competition.

Growing up, I had no one to compare grades, achievements, or goals to. Which is okay, but it gets boring after 16 years of schooling!

8. When I was the oldest and only for grade school events.

1 is the loneliest number that you'll ever know.

9. When I forgot how to talk to boys after puberty.

I was always shy growing up. Then once boys hit their growth spurts, voices started changing and I suddenly didn't know who they were. I didn't know how to talk to them until after I got my drivers' license and finally had something cool to talk about.

10. When I needed someone else to blame for the spilled milk.

I got blamed for everythinggggggggg. Of course I was the only one to blame.

11. When I saw my other friends have a strong friendship with their brothers.

Most of my friends I grew up with had older brothers. I always admired them and wished I was as lucky as my friends to have an older brother to annoy me and protect me. They don't know how blessed they really are.

12. When I needed someone to split the chores list with.

Wax on, Wax off, Wax on, Wax off.

13. When I was little and couldn't open a pickle jar by myself.

Pickles are a staple in my diet. If you are what you eat, I would be a giant pickle. But the jar can be hard to open, especially for little girls. Jars of pickles are heavier than they appear let me tell ya!

14. When I lost a parent.

Losing a parent was one of the hardest things in me life. I lost someone I was so close with, someone who held half my heart. I still live with that pain every day, and I always think it would be comforting to have a brother who understands.

15. When I needed someone to scare the boy that was going to break my heart.

I have been taken advantage of by boys. I have been searching for gentlemen, but I have trouble finding the right one. I know brothers are very protective and they can smell the trouble a mile away. I wish I had someone looking out for me.

16. When I lost my confidence in myself.

For the longest time, I forgot who I was. I put myself in the dark and I didn't feel like I could be myself. I just needed a reminder. I know if I had grown up with someone and share so many memories and lessons together we'd be able to keep confidence in each other.