Things College Students Forget

Things College Students Forget

Materialistically and Mentally

102
Things College Students Forget
pexels.com

College is a stressful time. For most people, it is the first time they are living on their own and being an adult, meaning buying their own dish soap, doing their own laundry, and being responsible for waking up without their mom coming in to do it for them. On top of the normal stresses of being a functioning adult, there are classes, homework, jobs, and countless other things that put pressure on people that are supposed to call themselves "grown-ups." A common side effect of the term I like to call "adulating" is forgetfulness. Here are some of the things that college students tend to forget, both materialistically and mentally.

1. The Date.

When you have class five days a week, work for four, extracurriculars on six, and miscellaneous events throughout the week, it becomes really hard to remember which day is which. Sometimes you will think that is is the end of August when really it is the third week of September. You never know.

2. Extra Sheets.

This is fairly self explanatory. You are supposed to wash your sheets once every week or two weeks, and if you want to put off laundry for as long as possible, bring multiple sets so you do not have to wash as frequently.

3. Rain Gear.

Whether it be jackets, umbrellas, or boots, they can help when it comes to dismal weather. Trust me, when you see your friends running across campus through the pouring rain in their tee shirts and jeans and you are cozy in your jacket, you will thank me.

4. Setting Multiple Alarms.

Your mom can't come in to wake you up anymore. It sucks, but it is the harsh reality that is college and being an adult in general. To help with this, set a few alarms for when you have to get up for class and try to get up at the first one so you can turn the rest off. The extras can be used as a precaution.

5. Chargers.

You will hopefully remember your phone charger, but the outlets in dorm rooms can be in very inconvenient places, and a charger with an extra long cord is very helpful.

6. Razors and Wash Cloths.

Shampoo, conditioner, and body wash are easy to remember, but the little things like razors so you are not a hairy mess and wash cloths for your body wash are pretty necessary when it comes to hygiene.

7. Checking Classrooms.

After signing up for classes, it is pretty easy to remember what you are enrolled in, but I have found that as I begin walking to class on the first day, I realize that I have no idea where I am going. Make sure to check which classroom and building you are going to and write them down so that you can get there easily and quickly.

8. Fancy Clothes.

Most college students do not dress up on a daily basis, which makes remembering to bring a couple dresses or a tie very easy. These articles of clothing are not too necessary, but they are useful for things like job interviews, formals, or auditions.

9. Bandaids.

Chances are, you will either hurt yourself or see someone hurt themselves in your time at college, and it is always nice to be prepared, especially when you can help other people.

10. Eating Habits.

This can branch anywhere from stress eating for hours a day or forgetting meals all together. Having a new routine takes some getting used to, so make sure you find those breaks in which you can grab a snack or sit in the caf, even if it is only for a few minutes. Scheduling everything out is super helpful.

11. Suitcase.

Not very many people think to bring a carry on size suitcase to school with them. but not only is it helpful for moving in, you can use it when you go home for the weekends or decide to go on a spontaneous trip.

12. Water bottles.

Reusable water bottle are a must for college. Staying hydrated is very important, especially during stressful times, and water bottles with straws are something you can drink out of mindlessly. They are also good for going to the gym, keeping near your bed, and keeping you from buying that third coffee of the day.

13. What it is like to Share a Room,

Many people are blessed with having their own rooms before school, but you will more than likely have to share a tiny dorm room with another person who has just as much, if not more, stuff than you do. IT is helpful if you guys are friends, but if not, it is not the end of the world, just something to get used to.

14. Extra Storage.

College dorm rooms typically come with a bed frame and mattress, a desk, and a dresser. Everything else is up to you. You have to bring the hangers and the bins to hold your things, and having extra can never hurt. In the worst case scenario, you could store your extra things in them and put them under your bed.

15. A Fan.

College rooms are not air conditioned. End of story.

16. Time Management.

College homework takes a lot more time than high school homework. Most professors will tell you that for every hour you spend in class, you should spend two or three hours outside of it. Plan ahead and do your homework right after class so you have time to hang out with friends and still get seven or eight hours of sleep.

17. Ice Trays.

Cold water is always a great thing, and it is nice to have ice readily available in your freezer to pop into your water bottle. I, personally, would never trust the ice in the community fridge.

18. Extra Underwear.

I am not going to lie, the sniff test is perfectly acceptable in college, but in order to put off paying to do your laundry even further, you should bring extra underwear.

19. Relaxing.

It is so hard to relax when you have a lot to do. I have even found myself feeling guilty doing anything that is not homework, and that is not healthy for your mental state. Time management will help you to set time aside to relax and take a long shower or watch your favorite show without feeling guilty.

20. Command Hooks.

Fun fact, you are not allowed to put anything on the walls of your dorm room that is not painters tape or command hooks. If you want to put anything on your walls, remember to bring these.

21. How to Make Connections.

It is very important to get to know your professors. This will give you confidence when you need to ask a question and it will also help to have an easier time in the classes you are taking. Make sure to introduce yourself to your professors and if you see them outside of class, don't hesitate to say hi!

22. Cash.

I am someone who never carries cash on me, but it is important to have it in case you want to go out to eat or you need to put money on your laundry card. Even if it is five dollars, it will be very helpful.

23. Checking your Email.

College professors communicate through email, and every single helpful piece of information about your classes can be answered through an email. Make sure you check it at least once a day so that you can reply to important people and better your connections with professors. This will also hep you to lower your stress levels because you will know exactly what is going on.

24. Travel Coffee Mugs.

Even if you do not make your own coffee, a lot of college coffee shops will refill travel mugs for less than a dollar. You can then go to class with coffee in your hand and a smile on your face!

25. How to take Good Notes.

Notes are a necessary part of college life, and taking careful notes with readings or in class will drastically change how you do on tests. Color code them, write definitions, and circle things that need to be clarified! You will be surprised how much this will help you remember things.