Things To Appreciate Before Going Away To College

"College is the reward for surviving high school."

41

My younger brother just graduated from high school and it got me thinking about what I wished I had appreciated more before I left for college. No one in high school realizes the little pleasures they have at home that suddenly disappear when they leave for college. In honor of my brother and all those other recent high school grads, I've created a list of things to appreciate before you leave home.

1. A Home-Cooked Meal

A home-cooked meal is one of the best things about college breaks. There is no amount of dining hall food, takeout, or greasy pizza at 2 a.m. that compares to a home-cooked meal and your family.

2. Your Bed

I'm not going to sugar coat a dorm room bed, so instead I'll try and make you appreciate yours. Your own bed is where you get the best night's sleep, and it means you're waking up to less responsibility than you would be at school.

3. Your Favorite TV Shows

Because college isn't a fixed schedule, you may have class during some of your favorite shows. Watch them live while you can, and when you get to school, stay off spoiler sites.

4. The Quiet

Say goodbye to a quiet house and hello to late night loudness. If you enjoy peace and quiet or the ability to get lost in your own thoughts, appreciate it now while you have the chance.

5. Hang Out With High School Friends

Once you and your high school friends are all away at college, seeing each other is hard. Make sure you spend time with your friends before you go. It is important to keep up those connections with them because winter break is only a few months in.

6. Be A Kid

Play mini golf, jump on a trampoline, blow bubbles. Soon, you're college kid instincts will kick in and you'll pretend to be too "mature" for these activities.

7. Sleep In

8 a.m. classes are no joke, especially when you stayed up the whole night before studying. Take advantage of sleeping in now before it's too late.

8. Clean Out Your Closet

As much as you may want to bring all of your clothes and shoes to school, you can't. Take this time to clean out the unnecessary things and prioritize what you want to bring with you.

9. Work Out

When the dining hall is filled with pizza, pasta, hot dogs and dessert, who wouldn't go crazy? Work out now and make it harder for the freshman 15 to catch up.

College is supposed to be the best four years of your life. Just because you won't have home-cooked meals as often, or you won't have your own bed, doesn't mean that there won't be things at college that you miss at home. Everlasting friendships and experiences at college are unlike anything you could have experienced in high school. But, for now, take advantage of the smaller things at home so you have a better chance of being able to appreciate both.