The Thief

The Thief

A short story series.
297

"She was on orders." Luka said in a low voice.

"I know." She heard Chris say.

Olivia watched as her teardrops fell to the floor and Chris's shoes made their way closer to her. Luka didn't move from his position beside her.

"Liv, it's okay." Chris said gently.

Olivia couldn't meet his gaze.

"Olivia, look at me." Chris ordered sharply.

Olivia's head shot up instinctively. She searched his face for any signs of anger but could find none.

"You did what any of us would have done if we'd been in your position. There's no reason for you to be afraid to tell us. Trust me."

Chris said the last part in a near whisper. Olivia swallowed hard. She'd already chosen to put her trust in him once tonight, why couldn't she do it again? She nodded and forcefully wiped away the rest of her tears.

"He's right ya know. We got ya." Mitch chimed in.

Chris took her hand in his and squeezed it reassuringly before going to sit back down. Olivia took a steadying breath.

"Right. So, things ended up getting pretty serious between us in Damien's eyes. A rumor started being spread around that the invincible Damien had finally cracked and was looking to settle down. I didn't think much of it. He wasn't exactly the settling down sort of person or at least I thought. Towards the end of my time there, Damien actually decided to propose. I couldn't say no without drawing suspicion to myself. For all Damien knew, we were actually madly in love. I waited for a few weeks afterwards and called Luka for an extraction. It didn't go as planned."

"Didn't go as planned?" Chris asked.

"Damien somehow got word of the meeting. When our contact went in to extract her, Damien was waiting. Both Olivia and the contact were shot." Luka explained.

"Damien left me alive but left me with a pretty nasty reminder of our time together."

Olivia lifted up her shirt to reveal a white, scarred over, round, bullet wound on her lower abdomen.

"So if ya betrayed him, why does he want ya back?" Mitch asked.

Olivia shrugged.

"Twisted revenge is my best guess. All he said to me was that he wanted me back."

"Alright. Well we need to figure out why he has a sudden fascination with finding you after all of these years. No more jobs until this is figured out. Do you understand me, Olivia?" Luka ordered.

"Yes, sir."

"Boss, I don't think the girly should be alone." Mitch said pointedly.

Luka sighed.

"You're right. It isn't safe, especially since it's likely that Damien already knows where she lives."

Luka seemed to ponder his options for a few minutes before turning to face Olivia.

"It seems you have three options Olivia. One, you stay at headquarters until this is resolved. Two, you rotate between staying with members of the guild. Or three, you come stay at the main house."

"The main house? I thought no one was allowed access but you three?" Olivia said gesturing to the three men in the room.

"That is true. However, considering the circumstances, it maybe the safest place for you. The security details at both headquarters and the main house are the strongest."

Olivia looked at Chris for help but he seemed to be pointedly staring at a painting on her wall. He wanted this decision to be her own.

"I guess I'll go with..."