Every High School Senior Needs To Know There's No Such Thing As An 'Easy' College Major

Nothing is every easy.

263
Nick Morrison

In high school, people think that there's certain majors in college that are easy to get through.

There's this stigma about college where you can just breeze through it if you choose an "easy" major because the work is easy. However, what people fail to see is that even though some of the work might be easy, the amount of work and hours per week you have to put in is not so easy.

Yes, some majors are easier than others and require a little extra time and work, but nothing about college is easy. Before I started college, I had the mindset that it was going to be easy and that I wouldn't have to do too much. Boy was I wrong.

College requires a lot of self discipline. It's to easy to get work done while in class or on campus but when you're at home, you have to really discipline yourself to get your homework done or whatever else you have to do outside of the classroom.

I'm a Journalism and Emerging Media major, sounds easy, I know. Well, it's not. There's a lot more to the English language and grammar rules than I thought there was. It's not the easiest major to learn about, however, the work can be very fun. A journalism major requires a lot of tedious work and writing, as well as research.

College is a time for young adults to finally start living their lives, but it's also a learning period and time that requires a lot of hard work and attention. Part of college is also going outside of your comfort zone.

When I first started getting into my major, I had to take a lot of communication classes. Of these classes included public speaking, one of my biggest fears. I don't like speaking in front of crowds of people and having all eyes on me. It was a class that really pushed me outside of my comfort zone, but in the end, I turned out to really like it. My class wasn't huge and I eventually got comfortable enough with everyone to not be so nervous every time I gave a speech.

Another class that I took was all about writing for public communication and it was probably one of the most challenging classes I've taken so far in college. There's so many tedious grammar rules and specific writing guidelines that you have to follow as a professional journalist.

No matter what major you choose, there's always going to be challenges and obstacles that you will have to overcome. It won't always be hard and it won't always be easy, but your success will be worth it.