There Is Hope In The End: Remembering Chester Bennington

"If I just let go, I'd be set free"

45
YouTube

Recently, the news of the death of Linkin Park’s frontman, Chester Bennington, shocked the world. The music community was especially devastated. Artists turned to social media to express their condolences to Bennington’s family and Linkin Park.

Bennington was only 41 years old. Many would argue that he had a successful music career with Linkin Park and his other band, Dead by Sunrise. This year, the month of May was a big one for Bennington. Linkin Park had just released their latest album, “One More Light” and were scheduled to start touring in late July of this year. Along with the release of the new album came the death of his dear friend, Chris Cornell of Soundgarden. Cornell took his own life on May 18, 2017. The cause of Bennington’s death was determined as suicide. Bennington took his own life on what would have been Cornell’s 53rd birthday.

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the United States. Unfortunately, there is stigma out there about suicide and mental health in general.

People don’t talk about it or seek the help they need because of it. There is no single cause for suicide, but it most often occurs when stressors exceed current coping abilities of someone suffering from a mental health condition. There are many warning signs and symptoms that someone who is struggling with this could display.

These include but are not limited to: change in behavior, negative self-talk or comments, change in mood, mental health conditions, or stressful life situations. Treatment is out there for those who seek it and can range from medication to therapy to involving family and gaining a support system.

In addition to medication and therapy, there is another answer. Jesus Christ is there to welcome you with open arms. He meets you where you are and takes all of you as you are. You don’t have to be perfect or have your life together to come to Him. If you simply call on His name, He will come running to His beloved. Don’t for a second think you are worth nothing.

Luke 12:6-7 says: “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.” The Lord values you above anything else in His creation.

Take heart and understand that the things of this world are temporary, but Jesus Christ laid down His life for you to live for Him. He is coming back and has claimed you for eternity. This is Jesus speaking directly to you: “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (ESV).

Suicide doesn’t solve your problems. It impacts both you and the people you leave behind. It leaves the people in your life with so many unanswered questions and feelings of regret. It leaves behind heartache and sadness that doesn’t just evaporate.

If you need help right now, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741-741.

There is hope.