What Was Vs. What Is

What Was Vs. What Is

Don't ever let anyone walk on you.
20

Since my freshman year of college is coming to an end, I figured I should write about certain circumstances that have literally changed my life and changed my perceptions.

5. I've found my lifelong friends.

Throughout this entire experience I have come to terms with who is actually is important in my life. You might even meet your very best friend out of a truly messed up friendship that was pure toxicity that needed to be disposed of.

4. It's better to not try to be friends with negative influences.

I've made an unfortunate conclusion that there are people who aren't emotionally mature enough to be in a college setting. It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I just can't please everyone. No matter how much of a good person you'd like to believe yourself to be, it's not your fault, YOU ARE NOT TRASH, and you're not a dog who has to obey every command to someone who isn't a stable person. Sometimes, you're own big heart can pull the wool over your eyes until someone has to show you the truth.

3. It's the personality that counts.

Coming from such a small, predominately white town, it was such a relief to be able to befriend people of other races and even sexual orientations. I am not judgmental, and I absolutely adore the groups of people who I get to spend every day with. College has given me the opportunity to meet people who I would never have met otherwise. These people have become my second family when I am away from my own.

2. Don't let people be demeaning towards you.

Being walked on is not fun, so stop letting jerks and derelicts judge you because you're not a typical "promiscuous" college girl. Stop letting people become angry with you because you might be doing better than they are. They should be happy for you, not upset over your accomplishments. People should build each other up, not put each other down. Jealousy should never exist in a friendship. Ultimately, petty is as petty does. It can be quite embarrassing to have to explain to not only your family members who are alumni, but incoming students as well that the majority of the student body truly doesn't act inappropriately.

1. Make yourself clear.

As someone who hardly ever stands up for myself, I've had to come to terms with the fact that it's okay to actually do so. Whether it be due to my best friend standing up for me, or my own actions, don't EVER let anyone emotionally and verbally abuse you. Standing up for yourself is not a bad thing at all! People can be vindictive and malicious, but you've got to not let them get to you. You are the better person whether you realize it or not.

If anything, I hope the lesson learned here is that nobody needs to be taking any person's bad attitude to heart. One bad seed trying to throw shade doesn't have to get under your skin. Every time you see that person, just think of them as a total stranger and all will be well.

Cover Image Credit: https://www.google.com/search?q=response&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS725US725&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEkePxp-vTAhVGYiYKHYFfD7AQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#tbm=isch&q=throwing+shade&imgrc=eBkdKubFaBfq4M: